Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+3
clunk07
mister_elliott
Psychosis
7 posters

Longshot Mod (Beginners Not Recommended)

Psychosis
    Psychosis

Longshot Mod (Beginners Not Recommended) Empty Longshot Mod (Beginners Not Recommended)

Post  Psychosis Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Well today was day 3 of owning my LS, and I tried my hand at modding (first time ever). All went horribly wrong, which is why it's definitely not a beginner weapon to mod.

I successfully removed the AR (childs play) & attempted a C836 spring and padded plunger (was expecting to do boltsled reinforce tomorrow).

Unfortunately somewhere amongst the chaos of first time jitters, I've inadvertently stuffed my priming mechanism. And it chews darts and primes correctly only when it chooses to.

I'm hoping by removing the non-necessary "locks", I may be able to retain my LS priming ease. But short of that I'm hardly optimistic about it's future use.

So be warned, THE LONGSHOT IS TEMPERAMENTAL. You need to be fairly precise with placement and changes done to parts. It's a very tight crafted design, with a multitude of springs to confuse beginners.

Psychosis
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Longshot Mod (Beginners Not Recommended) Empty Re: Longshot Mod (Beginners Not Recommended)

Post  mister_elliott Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Psychosis wrote:Well today was day 3 of owning my LS, and I tried my hand at modding (first time ever). All went horribly wrong, which is why it's definitely not a beginner weapon to mod.

I successfully removed the AR (childs play) & attempted a C836 spring and padded plunger (was expecting to do boltsled reinforce tomorrow).

Psychosis

I've never experienced it myself, but i've heard it said by others that C-836s kill longshots quicker than almost anything. So you might want to consider putting that bad boy in a non-CS blaster. Longshots certainly are difficult for the first time, even reassembling after an AR removal proved pretty difficult for myself.

Last edited by mister_elliott on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Psychosis
    Psychosis

Longshot Mod (Beginners Not Recommended) Empty Re: Longshot Mod (Beginners Not Recommended)

Post  Psychosis Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:18 pm

I only own Mavericks besides my LS, and I think a beefy spring like that would tear a Mav apart in seconds!

Yeah I agree, trying to reassemble proved to be the hardest part of the modification process.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Hence why most experienced guys recommending modding a NF or Mav first.

A C836 spring is a very poor choice, get yourself a SSSpring, and save yourself the hassle. It's probably one of the reasons why the blaster isn't priming properly.

But, aside from that, your point of creating a whole new thread was for what exactly? Are you chasing help to fix it, or just letting us all know that you failed?

If you're looking for help, maybe some pic's of the internals would go a long way in finding a solution.

Cheers,
    Psychosis
    Psychosis

Post  Psychosis Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Clunk I was purely putting it out there so others don't make the same mistakes, you learn through misguided screw ups. I'm not seeking aid (I'd post in questions thread for that propose), thanks for the clarification of the purpose of my thread though.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Don't get too crabby about it, Clunk, hahaa.

He's right though, man. If you need help, there are a number of ways to get it without a new thread. We all generally don't like people creating new threads that don't benefit anyone, which this certainly doesn't.

I've never used a c836, or even seen one, bit I would guess that the spring's solid state is still too long, so the plunger rod can't get far enough to catch? No one uses those springs in LSs.

Mod a Nite Finder! Easy and awesome. LS is clearly too advanced.

Cody
    Echoes
    Echoes

Post  Echoes Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:37 pm

The longshot was my first mod. Wasn't the easiest thing to get together, but you've got to persevere. I'm sure one of the Sydney guys can help you out if you come to a war (which may or may not happen before the end of the uni/school holidays :P)
    abowden
    abowden

Post  abowden Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:39 pm

really? I have no trouble modding a longshot, turns out I'm not such a noob after all
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Nah, not crabby Cody, just haven't had much sleep, and I'm struggling (still..) to see the point of this thread.

I can, however, point out a few errors...

Obviously, spring choice isn't appropriate.

You really don't need much padding on the plunger head. It's really only there to protect from dry-firing, which shouldn't happen a great deal if you're sensible.

You should really look at doing some form of breech replacement, as that will compliment your other mods.

There's no point doing the boltsled reinforcement after you've done a spring replacement and test-fired. It's kind of like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted... With all of my commissions, the bolt-sled is generally the first engineering mod that I start with (I generally sand and paint the shell first, as that takes around 7 hrs) as there's a 3-day cure time on the epoxy.

Don't rely on internal pic's from here or NH etc. I always recommend taking your own photo's before removing any of the internal pieces. Alignment of certain pieces have different difficulty factor's depending on your mechanical ability, so you may need more detailed pic's of certain parts.

You haven't mentioned if you've replaced o-rings, or increased plunger seal.

Butt-stock reinforcement is pretty much a pre-requisite to make priming easier.

Cheers,

Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:55 pm

Yeah man, I see your point, exactly.

Hadn't thought of the padding, almost certainly one of the two. Darts getting chewed up.. Hmm. Something not put in properly, I guess. There's a small piece on the side of the plunger tube that locks into a little spot on the shell, make sure that's in properly. Easy thing to miss.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Yeh, the nub on the plunger tube can easily be overlooked. But, it's generally a pretty dead give-away if it's not aligned properly, because the bolt-sled won't sit in the rails properly.

Unfortunately, it's been that long since I modded a LS without a brass breech, I'm struggling to remember things that could cause these issues.

Cheers,
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Yeah, I think I've also read Crystal Spring C836 from Bunnings is not the correct spring for LS. It is good and powerful for a NiteFinder though. C836 has too little compression ratio for LS to prime properly.

As for reassembling a LS, it is always a good idea to take photos of the blaster's internal the first time you open it up. Take an overview of the internal as well as close-up (macro) shots of each part, so when it comes to reassembling, you have the photos as reference. Once you disassemble and reassemble a few times, you will get used to the blaster.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:35 pm