Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+6
Akimbo Assassin
shacam
TheBradl3s
littlebro05
Joey
cccmaster
10 posters

Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod review

cccmaster
    cccmaster

Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  Empty Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod review

Post  cccmaster Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Max Force Shadow Hawk 100
    Hi everyone, This is my first post here and i just wanted to talk about my Shadow hawk as i have a bit of a mixed story.

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  04082011145[/img]

Well, when it turned up it all looked pretty much as i was expecting from the pics. I bought this with the intent to add a proper trigger and give it a good paint job so was already to open it up as soon as i got it but decided to give it a go first.

Well fired off 7 shots ok but the 8th jammed and broke some teeth off a cog inside. I would have to say the the part was defective as it broke so easily so i don't think it was due to anything i had done. Needless to say i was pretty unimpressed at this point and opened up the gun to have a look. I repaired the cog and all was well and haven't had a problem with the action since.

I performed my trigger mod over the space of a couple of days and once i had that working i painted it in a dry gum camo i made up from nato colors.

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  EGHD0013-1[/img]

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  EGHD0002[/img]

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  04082011133[/img]

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  EGHD0006[/img]

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  EGHD0010[/img]

[center]
    I have a couple of vids on you tube that go into more detail

After all is said and done i can tell you what i have found.

If it fires up to 100 i don't doubt but the spread after about 20 feet cones out to a radius of about 1-2 feet and after that hitting your target is very difficult without weighting you pellets with bbs. Not only dose weighting the pellets help with accuracy but it adds a heap of kinetic energy so now shooting though a couple of layers of cardboard is no problem while the pellet retains its energy. The paper pellets sometimes tumble through the air causing them to curve randomly however the paper pellets will still break paper quite easily. Power decreases over quite a short distance when using paper. All in all i am pretty happy with the power and range.

The gun is constructed very well, nice and solid with no rattles. The bi-pod isn't as bad as it looks. Yea it could be better but it works and is light weight. It can be detached as easily as a quick karate chop but is required for sharp shooting. Solid stock and top rail.

The gun sights are a bit off and i prefer to use the iron sight instead of the scope although they kind of line up in the same place. The rail appears that it might take a real scope. Maybe a red dot and laser would improve my aim...

The gun feels good and is comfortable to hold and aim until you go to fire it.

It is very reliable. You rarely get a miss fire that's not due to user error.

This gun really appealed to me until i saw how it fired. I think i takes away half of the fun and steady aim for that precise and consistent shooting. With the trigger the gun is so much better in every way. You can hold off your shots until your ready and you will never get tired or fatigued and no interference from releasing.

Id have to say as standard i would have to pass up this gun as shooting is awkward and not allot of fun and for the price i just dosn't cut it for me.

With the trigger? The trigger makes this gun id have to say. I think its great now and looks as good as it gos. [center]
    Joey
    Joey

Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  Empty Re: Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod review

Post  Joey Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Woah that paint job is nuts, I am still doing double takes on it. With the colors and build it looks like a real gun, though that might just be me.

Has anyone used this type of gun in a war yet? How practicle is it, if at all for one?
    cccmaster
    cccmaster

Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  Empty Re: Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod review

Post  cccmaster Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:34 am

I haven't as of yet but i think if you used it for a sniping role and practiced to refine your reloading and shooting techniques i do think it would definitely hold it's own. You will out range any other sniper on the field and be more accurate. The fire rate is slowed by the bolt action but snipers take their time and with the trigger you can do exactly that. Camo could come into play with certain game types also. Think about someone running at you with a terrornator 85 pumping 4 shots per second and you only need 2 whilst laying prone.

A counter sniping game type would be allot of fun. also you wont run out of ammo as you can carry thousands of pellet and a water bottle or spray bottle and a few extra mags. Also a true sniper works in a team with a spotter witch would carry a short to mid range high fire rate weapon to support him so i think under realistic circumstances it would prove to be an ideal and fairly realistic representation of the real thing.

The other team has to reload to and nurf darts take just as long to individually load. The pellets stay wet for ages so you can pre load up just as many clips as you could with a nerf gun and keep them moist with a small spray bottle that fits your webbing and you don't have to collect the pellets so where they have a weakness the also have an advantage.

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:36 am

Just out of curiosity. Were you the guy who did the trigger for the ShadowHawk on youtube? Would be pretty cool if you showed us how you did it. =).
    cccmaster
    cccmaster

Post  cccmaster Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:57 am

Yeah i did that, It's hard to show. I stopped taking photos shortly into the build as it started to get complicated but i can try to show some more on it and take some measurements of what i used and maybe give some steps and diagrams to help out but it is quite difficult. I have a few more pics i haven't uploaded cause i figured people would have difficulty finding the same materials but i guess i can make another vid or something.
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:15 am

Good job! Internal pics?

shacam
    shacam

Post  shacam Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:32 am

Great Job. Would definately like to know how you did the trigger
    cccmaster
    cccmaster

Post  cccmaster Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:25 am

I tried to add the link but i only singed up tonight. The vids are on you tube if you want to see them, Just look for proper trigger mod and check out the video reply for the camo vid. I can post some internal pics

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  28072011096-1[/img]

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  29072011105[/img]

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  29072011103[/img]

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  29072011102-1[/img]

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  29072011106[/img]

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  29072011101[/img]

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  30072011116-1[/img]

The mark on the trigger is were it was rubbing

[img]Max force Shadow hawk 100 camo paint & trigger mod  review  30072011113[/img]

I kept it simple with parts as you can see i am using a rubber band for the added trigger tension. This helps to reduce resistance and allows the catch to return back to it's neutral position. I found that i had to use a leader on the cable to get the right sensitivity as it gets so tight, there's not allot of room in there. I planed to use wire but it was just not possible for me so i tried fishing line but found it had to much stretch so i used a double leader of i think 6 or 8 pound line and used string the rest of the way. If you use string make sure your cable guides are smooth.

Anyway the parts are easy to find and replace if needed. In theory it's quite simple but takes a bit of fine tuning to get it working for the first time but once you do your laughing.

You could compromise on allot of the parts and make them out of what ever will work but it dose need a fair degree of precision to work properly.

Last edited by cccmaster on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:06 am

Great job.

Until I know how to make a trigger for it, I will not buy this blaster.
    Photo Ninja
    Photo Ninja

Post  Photo Ninja Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:18 am

Dude that is awesome, nice paint job. Wonder if you would modify it to shoot darts (ie barrel replacement etc). You should bring it to supernova, that would be cool as long as you put some orange on it.
    bulletproofvest
    bulletproofvest

Post  bulletproofvest Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:46 am

This looks so beast. Sweet idea with the BB's.
    psyk
    psyk

Post  psyk Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:15 am

Wow.

I, too, am amazed with this paintjob.

I'm currently also working on my own ShadowHawk...
    However, your trigger mod looks very intricate and very well done.
    It's a crazy clean job, I like it.

I don't think I'll ever have access to the tools and items that you have, so I'll have to improvise.

Thanks for sharing this.

I'm still looking at that paintjob. This is great!
    Nooft1187
    Nooft1187

Post  Nooft1187 Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:37 am

Dude that thimg looks awsome. I love the paint job. Your trigger mech looks a little complicated for me though (i'm a beginner). I tried putting a clothes peg trigger into mine and that was working untill my glue failed. I havent seen your vids yet but was wondering if you left your priming bar in one piece so that the handle shoots forward when you fire or if you seperated it so you could slide the handle forward ash gain before fireing for stability?
    cccmaster
    cccmaster

Post  cccmaster Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:07 pm

It is pretty tricky but probably looks more complicated than it is.
    Here is a list of the tools i used:
    * cordless drill
    * hacksaw
    * hobby knife
    * sand paper
    * file
    * pen
    * 5 minute epoxy

I left my priming bar in one piece however it would be possible to cut it and slide it forward again before firing. I think it would increase the plunger speed a little also. I don't mind it staying back though and in a way i kind of prefer it cause you don't have to push it forward unnecessarily every time witch would slow you down unless you had it return automatically with a rubber band or something witch would be the go.

Good thinking buddy

Ps, I am working on custom reusable nerf like darts now that may be more suitable for nurf battles.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:16 pm