Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+4
Sairex
Brunius
jacko1120
8 posters

A few ideas for the Shadow Hawk

jacko1120
    jacko1120

A few ideas for the Shadow Hawk Empty A few ideas for the Shadow Hawk

Post  jacko1120 Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:00 am

After looking at the internals and inner workings of the Shadow Hawk and the trigger mechanisms people put in them i have a few ideas/questions for those skilled owners of said blaster.

Firstly, could one, hypothetically, attach an electric motor that had a gear on the end of the drive shaft which had teeth similar to that of the priming mechanism so that the blaster could be automatically primed? This combined with a trigger mech and push to off switch could make the priming and firing of the blaster a one stage process, rather than a two stage.

Secondly, as Informer has done with silicone tips, could a silicone pellet be made which had the same overall dimensions of a paper pellet? This would make the pellets re-useable and remove the need to add BB's to the paper ones.

I am currently trying to get hold of a one of these blasters to see if either of these ideas are feasible.

Brunius

A few ideas for the Shadow Hawk Empty Re: A few ideas for the Shadow Hawk

Post  Brunius Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:35 am

Do you particularly want to be searching the ground for tiny silicone pellets?
    jacko1120
    jacko1120

Post  jacko1120 Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:00 am

Brunius wrote:Do you particularly want to be searching the ground for tiny silicone pellets?

Would be better than searching the ground for tinier shreds of paper...

Post  238232 Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:25 am

I doubt the paper pellets are capable of being re-used anyway.

For a comparison on the effectiveness of this, I suppose we could ask if people in airsoft recycle their pellets.
    Sairex
    Sairex

Post  Sairex Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:57 am

what are the dimensions of the paper bullets anyway? cause slingshots you can get .30cal ball bearings as ammo then again you'd be creating a class A firearm if you did this. also im drunk atm so dont go looking to far into my arguement
    Brunius

Post  Brunius Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Sairex wrote:what are the dimensions of the paper bullets anyway? cause slingshots you can get .30cal ball bearings as ammo then again you'd be creating a class A firearm if you did this. also im drunk atm so dont go looking to far into my arguement

I dunno, 6mm? Just a guess, don't go sourcing anything this size yet.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:59 pm

jacko1120 wrote:Firstly, could one, hypothetically, attach an electric motor that had a gear on the end of the drive shaft which had teeth similar to that of the priming mechanism so that the blaster could be automatically primed? This combined with a trigger mech and push to off switch could make the priming and firing of the blaster a one stage process, rather than a two stage.

It is plausible, however there isn't much space around the area where the gear sits, trying to fit wires and motor to prime the plunger will require lots of relocation of internal parts and cutting of the case.

jacko1120 wrote:Secondly, as Informer has done with silicone tips, could a silicone pellet be made which had the same overall dimensions of a paper pellet? This would make the pellets re-useable and remove the need to add BB's to the paper ones.

Don't bother with this second idea. To fire those paper pellets through the narrow barrel requires those paper pellets to be soaked wet, so there is less resistance when they travel down the barrel. Dry silicone pellets will have too much resistance in this narrow barrel and you will most likely jam the barrel. At the momemnt, you either use those stock paper pellets, or modify the barrel to fire Nerf streamline darts. Those paper pellets are not reusable, so don't bother searching for them. Like they say "ammo is cheap" if you are not willing to use these disposable paper pellet ammo, then you shouldn't play with a Max Force in the first place.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:40 pm

The paper bullet refills are relatively cheap anyway.
    abowden
    abowden

Post  abowden Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:10 pm

the full auto idea is feasible, just make a larger gear, cut a few teeth of, and boom, full auto, but you will have to make that advance the chain/clip for it to work.
    jacko1120
    jacko1120

Post  jacko1120 Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:36 am

Akimbo Assassin wrote:
    jacko1120 wrote:Firstly, could one, hypothetically, attach an electric motor that had a gear on the end of the drive shaft which had teeth similar to that of the priming mechanism so that the blaster could be automatically primed? This combined with a trigger mech and push to off switch could make the priming and firing of the blaster a one stage process, rather than a two stage.

It is plausible, however there isn't much space around the area where the gear sits, trying to fit wires and motor to prime the plunger will require lots of relocation of internal parts and cutting of the case.

jacko1120 wrote:Secondly, as Informer has done with silicone tips, could a silicone pellet be made which had the same overall dimensions of a paper pellet? This would make the pellets re-useable and remove the need to add BB's to the paper ones.

Don't bother with this second idea. To fire those paper pellets through the narrow barrel requires those paper pellets to be soaked wet, so there is less resistance when they travel down the barrel. Dry silicone pellets will have too much resistance in this narrow barrel and you will most likely jam the barrel. At the momemnt, you either use those stock paper pellets, or modify the barrel to fire Nerf streamline darts. Those paper pellets are not reusable, so don't bother searching for them. Like they say "ammo is cheap" if you are not willing to use these disposable paper pellet ammo, then you shouldn't play with a Max Force in the first place.

Thank you for a decent reply. Im sure i could find a way to incorporate the perfect size motor in their once i got a hold of one. Cost is not the issue either, nor is if i can re use the ammo or not. Its all about the force of the projectile, and getting the best aerodynamics and weight of that projectile.

abowden wrote:the full auto idea is feasible, just make a larger gear, cut a few teeth of, and boom, full auto, but you will have to make that advance the chain/clip for it to work.

It would not be full auto, it would just take the first stage of the priming function out of the firing process.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:31 am

jacko1120 wrote:Cost is not the issue either, nor is if i can re use the ammo or not. Its all about the force of the projectile, and getting the best aerodynamics and weight of that projectile.

I'm not sure if you have actually seen the inside of the magazine? There are 4 small protrusions inside each chamber for the paper pellet to sit in, it prevents the paper pellet from slipping further forward the chamber. Only once the paper pellet is soaked wet and can be easily deformed, that is when it can be fired pass the protrusions and down the barrel. Your proposed silicone pellets don't sound like they can be easily deformed, so they will just get stuck inside the magazine. That's why I say don't bother with different type of ammo (unless you want to mod the barrel to fire streamline foam darts like Psyk has done in his video).
    jacko1120
    jacko1120

Post  jacko1120 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:09 am

Akimbo Assassin wrote:
    jacko1120 wrote:Cost is not the issue either, nor is if i can re use the ammo or not. Its all about the force of the projectile, and getting the best aerodynamics and weight of that projectile.

I'm not sure if you have actually seen the inside of the magazine? There are 4 small protrusions inside each chamber for the paper pellet to sit in, it prevents the paper pellet from slipping further forward the chamber. Only once the paper pellet is soaked wet and can be easily deformed, that is when it can be fired pass the protrusions and down the barrel. Your proposed silicone pellets don't sound like they can be easily deformed, so they will just get stuck inside the magazine. That's why I say don't bother with different type of ammo (unless you want to mod the barrel to fire streamline foam darts like Psyk has done in his video).

Silicone was probably not the best example material to use for this purpose, i purely said it because most people are familiar with it. This was not as much a proposal as a topic of discussion, more of a "has anyone else thought of this" topic. Being full aware of the price and mod-ability of the paper pellets i was more interested in the idea of the automated priming cycle, for all those milsim people out there wanting the "realistic" rifle action.
    mavshot
    mavshot

Post  mavshot Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:14 am

Keep it simple just attach a trigger system then I would mod the shottie grip so when primed would return to its original position this would increase range. Also you can make you your own bullets by rolling up cones of paper tapping and cutting to fit.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:04 am

mavshot wrote:Also you can make you your own bullets by rolling up cones of paper tapping and cutting to fit.

Yes I have seen some kids making their own ammo with tissue paper on YouTube but obviously the range won't be as good as stock ammo. However since BigW is selling 1000 rounds ammo (along with a bandolier, two 8-ammo mags and two ammo containers) for only $20, there is no point wasting time making your own ammo.
    Brunius

Post  Brunius Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:53 am

Akimbo Assassin wrote:
    mavshot wrote:Also you can make you your own bullets by rolling up cones of paper tapping and cutting to fit.

Yes I have seen some kids making their own ammo with tissue paper on YouTube but obviously the range won't be as good as stock ammo. However since BigW is selling 1000 rounds ammo (along with a bandolier, two 8-ammo mags and two ammo containers) for only $20, there is no point wasting time making your own ammo.

Additionally, making your own is probably more expensive.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:45 am