Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+11
Luke
lech
night stalker
Unknown
Generous
littlebro05
stoph
taerkitty
Swatsonia
Dietzie
Acerised
15 posters

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial

Acerised
    Acerised

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial Empty Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial

Post  Acerised Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial - All Aussie Materials

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 6nt91d

Firstly Big shout out to Unknown for contributing with his great help to this project. Thank you.

This Project is very easy to build and very easy to source materials (All Aussie).
    This is a general but with detail, Write-Up. Everyone has different materials so you will need to experiment and source appropiate materials yourself.

Materials: (You may subsitute materials for others)

• 16mm Electrical Conduit
    • 20mm Electrical Condiuit
    • 20mm Electrical Conduit Coupler
    • 25mm PVC
    • 25mm PVC End Cap
    • 2x 25mm PVC Elbow
    • 25mm PVC T
    • 25mm to 20mm PVC Reducer
    • 20mm PVC
    • 15mm End Cap
    • 15mm PVC
    • Various Nails and Screws
    • E-Tape
    • Hot Glue and Gun
    • Epoxy Putty
    • Padding
    • KHA Spring
    • Arcylic Rod
    • Additional or Replacment Catch Spring
    • O-Ring

Ive always wanted a pull back longhot and a powerful springer. I have made a NF Rifle, although it was very unreliable with the catch and k26. So I thought to myself why not combine the two? Playing around with pipe and ideas I discovered that 16mm conduit acts as a identical plunger rod and 20mm nested acts as a identical catch. Through futher investigation I discovered that 32mm PVC is very close to stock LS plunger tube and 32mm path plug will complete this system. So this means you could make a replacment LS plunger system by doing this. However i used parts I already had.

I wanted to keep this project as clean as possible and keep the look of the stock shell of the Longshot

Method:

Make a plunger head that has a good seal in 25mm PVC. You may have other ideas. However I used a 15mm PVC End Cap, as it quite a near fit in 25mm PVC. Firstly I cut the end cap flush and then cut a grove for the O-Ring to sit, this will prevent it from slipping out. Grab a small piece of 15mm PVC and jam it inside the End Cap as furthest as possible. Now Insert your 16mm conduit plunger rod into the 15mm PVC and drill a hole through the end cap, 15mm pvc and 16mm conduit. Insert a Nail into the hole and cut it flush with the hole. Adhere a padding to the top of the head and secure the padding, O-Ring and nail bar with e-tape. Wrap enough e-tape so it creates a good seal. It will be hard to create a 100% seal with a fast plunger as, the grove you cut for the o-ring will not be consistant. Experiment until you are satisfied with the seal and plunger speed. You could use a skirt seal by, ramming acrylic rod inside the 16mm conduit by sanding the edges. Then secure it with a nail at the bottom. Now you can attach the skirt seal with a screw and nut. There are endless possibilities. Cut a small piece of 20mm conduit for the catch and sand one it's edges so it is round and smooth.
    The picture below is not clean, I created another seal.

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 149m2za

Remember to reinforce everything to withstand the powerful spring. I used a KHA Spring. The Kha spring features a 6cm compression (11" to 6cm) which is very impressive. This means you will get around 24cm air volume from a 30cm plunger tube. Very powerful and very very easy to prime. You may use a full k26, however I personally hate k26s as they are too powerful. It took my whole body weight to get full compression of a 20cm k26. (As no one in Australia knows what a real k26 is, i am refering to Informer's K26). Imagine the stress on the plastic with a fully compressed k26. Back to topic I reinforced the Catch frame, trigger and plastic around the catch frame with Epoxy Putty. I also added aluminium sheeting above the trigger as this will decrease the bending of the trigger. Add replacement/additional catch spring if necessary.

Here is a link for Kha Springs: http://www.oznerf.com/t4596-homemade-blaster-part-sales-kha-spring-check-valves

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 3505w69

Now for the barrel coupler. You may use different methods, such as a 25mm to 15mm reducer and e-tape on a 20mm conduit barrel. However I nested a 20mm conduit coupler inside of the 20mm end of a 25mm to 20mm PVC Reducer. Remember DEADSPACE, so cut half of the coupler and use a half. But firstly, attach the reducer to 25mm pvc tightly and use the plunger head to mark of where the plunger stops. This is where you will put the end of the 20mm conduit coupler. Place the 20mm coupler inside the 20mm pvc end and drill a hole through each and place a nail as a dart stop. Add hotglue and Eputty to seal any gaps. Remember to add hot glue over the extruding nail to seal of any air leaks.

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 4zvlth Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 2q3vrfa

Add the spring and cut the 25mm PVC plunger tube to account for the spring. Remember that the pipe does not go fully inside the Couplers and End caps. For the Spring rest i used a 25mm PVC end cap. Drill and sand a hole in the middle, so the the plunger rod and catch can easily pass through the hole but not the spring. BE CAREFUL. If you used a Kha Spring and this set up you will have around a 2-3mm clearance. Compress the spring and measure where to secure the catch on the 16mm conduit at the catch frame once fully compressed. Once marked drill a hole straight through and secure with a flush cut nail.

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 2ebsx3n Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 205bwo

Now to place the plunger system inside the shell. Decide where to put the plunger system and dremel out all plastic in the way. I placed my plunger tube against the orange barrel connection knub, to evenly spread the force of the plunger smacking the coupler. MAKE SURE ALL COUPLERS AND END CAPS ARE ON TIGHTLY.

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 2hr33mh

Now for the plunger tube rest. I used epoxy putty and moulded it around the plunger tube. Remember to not place eputty to high, as the 20mm conduit catch needs to pass through freely. To keep the plunger system from not rotating when inserting barrel and taking it off. I drilled a hole for a nail in the end cap into the epoxy putty. This will stop the system from rotating.

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 301em50

You now can test if the blaster is functional, hopefully yes. Now add a priming handle to the 16mm conduit. Allow for space for your finger to grip. I used arcylic rod as the priming handle. Cut the exccess 16mm conduit.
    You have finished, reattach the shell through nails or tape if you wish to continue and add a stock.

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 2cpysyc

Adding a PVC Stock

Decide on a PVC stock design. I decided on a "slanted" design. I dislike the look of a +bow stock design on a Longshot.

To start of, measure how much pipe you will need to comply with the full draw length. Now cut a 25mm PVC pipe in half and to that length. Screw it to a 25mm Elbow and to the top of the shell and attach it to a 25mm T. Now measure and cut a suitable length of 20mm pvc to join to the bottom of the shell. Screw it and attach it to the 25mm PVC T, wrap E-Tape on the 20mm pipe. Note: You cannot use 25mm pvc as the OD is too big. Add another 25mm Elbow to the bottom T. Measure approximately how much 25mm pipe you will need to angle to attach it to the shell. Cut accordinly and heat the pipe using a heat gun to bend the pipe, Screw it. You may use a 45 degree join, but i believe this would look bulky. Also you may heat the actual elbow itself, but you will need to be careful that the pipe can still be placed in and out.

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial Mttdv9 Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 28k272c

Finished, Hopefully it turned out well.

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 2jwd3q Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 2qxowaw

Please Click on the link for the Clip accepting Sliding Breech Tutorial:
    http://www.oznerf.com/t4721-acerised-s-clip-accepting-sliding-breech-tutorial

I have currently not finished this project. I have yet to add polycarb sheeting inside the gap of the stock, this would make the stock more strong and allows dart holders to be added.

Ranges:

I have not officially range tested the L'BOW yet.

Around the 30 metre mark (100ft).

However with stinger darts its penetrates through two pieces of carboard and through a styrofoam box cleanly.

With Streamlines it dents and rips cardboard and penetrates styrofoam boxes.

REMEMBER THIS IS A SPRINGER.

L'BOW Cardboard Test Video

Further Experimentation

- 16mm Electrical Conduit is an identical LS Plunger Rod.
    - 20mm Electrical Conduit is an Identical LS Catch.
    - 32mm PVC Pipe is Almost identical to LS Plunger tube.
    - 32mm Path Plug is a good plunger head for 32mm PVC pipe.

Now you can create home-made replacement LS Parts.

Barrels

- a 34cm 16mm conduit is better than 27cm PETG which is better than a 36cm PETG Barrel

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 6nt91d

Thanks!

Last edited by Acerised on Sat May 19, 2012 4:57 pm; edited 9 times in total
    Dietzie
    Dietzie

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial Empty Re: Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial

Post  Dietzie Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:35 pm

I take my hat off to you young sir.
    THIS is what modding is about, throwing the book away and making somthing you want, not what everyone else has.
    I can only hope that my current project will not be to far out gunned.

Flaming. Good. Job.
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Agreed.

This is quite a refreshing new project, and this thing, as the American's say, will shoot ropes.

L-bow indeed.
    taerkitty
    taerkitty

Post  taerkitty Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm an 'Merican (in some parts, the 'A' is silent) and I'll say it: "It looks like it shoots ropes."

Great going!

That said, can I see a close-up of the plunger rod catch notch?
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Taer: Fair point, it looks like it should.

On the darts however, what style stingers are you using? Small snap caps?
    Acerised
    Acerised

Post  Acerised Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 am

Taerkitty Welcome to OZnerf Forums!

You can see the plunger catch in the first image, if you look closely.

Swatsonia, yeah small stinger caps. The ones I sell in my sales thread.
    taerkitty
    taerkitty

Post  taerkitty Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:19 am

DOH! I was looking for a notch, completely overlooked the 20mm ring.

Apologies for that.

I've been posting on and off here for a while, but stopped posting mods because I'm over in The Colonies States, so we have materials that are not available in Oz.

Back to the mod - it looks fantastic. I especially love the stock.
    Acerised
    Acerised

Post  Acerised Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:22 am

Yeah thanks man. Im very proud of the stock. Its comfy and sturdy and looks great.
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:30 am

Taer: If you wished to achieve the same thing, I believe that 1/2" PVC nested over 1/2" CPVC should replicate it well enough.
    stoph
    stoph

Post  stoph Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:09 am

Woah nice one, dude! Id be keen to see a hopper integrated into the Recon barrel extension. I'm assuming muzzle loading takes forever since you'd have to allow for 2 days travel from receiver to muzzle really really clean and neat work, thanks for sharing!
    Acerised
    Acerised

Post  Acerised Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:11 am

No its not muzzle loaded. The recon barrel is just there for aesthetics for now.

Its couplered so I have many barrel systems options to choose.
    stoph
    stoph

Post  stoph Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:36 am

^ Ah, apologies, of course that makes total sense. Looking forward to seeing this thing shoot, please share a video when you can!
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:28 am

Time to put this in a longstrike.
    Acerised
    Acerised

Post  Acerised Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:43 am

I did a quick range test and it gets around the 30 metre mark (100ft) using a 34cm 16mm conduit barrel.

L'BOW Cardboard Test Video
    Generous
    Generous

Post  Generous Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 pm

That is hectic mate! I really like the design.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:37 am

It's genius really. The stock is actually pretty attractive and looks comfy too which was something I wasn't too sure about when I saw the original sketches. The curve in the PVC just adds the the aesthetics and opens up plenty of options for customisations.

The best part about this mod would have to be the catch. I don't know how Acerised came across the 16/20mm conduit idea but it clearly works pretty good!

night stalker
    night stalker

Post  night stalker Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:34 am

Wow love the work very creative XD
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:08 am

Just checking some figures.

Firstly, the PT is about 1.5x the length of an Xbow PT. Secondly, the spring is at least twice as strong as a stock Xbow spring. I have a feeling your darts may be letting you down, as with a (theoretically) smaller PT and weaker spring, I am getting those ranges.

Just a thought.
    lech
    lech

Post  lech Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:29 pm

The plunger head looks like it could be a weakness/room for improvement..

There does become a point where the spring becomes a limiting factor, considering a K26 powered plusbow/snap hits ~120-130 with a perfect seal, and this spring is weaker than that, 100-110 seems pretty reasonable.

I'm sceptical that a crossbow can shoot 100' flat with the stock spring.
    Luke
    Luke

Post  Luke Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:41 pm

lech wrote:
    I'm sceptical that a crossbow can shoot 100' flat with the stock spring.
    I can verify that is does, I saw Swats Xbow in action when a flew to WA in January.
    Acerised
    Acerised

Post  Acerised Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:43 pm

I did create a better seal. The one shown in the picture is not the current one I am using.

Creating a design for the seal was the most hardest part of the project to think through.
    As there are no seals currently on the market for 25mm PVC. I had to create and design from scratch a new seal that I had materials on hand and cost effective.

Don't tell me to use a 32mm path plug in 32mm PVC. I know this and I did not have the materials on hand.

This project took over a month to complete and in this time I thought through every single idea and option available.

However this design seal is one of many ideas you can choose. You can choose any other seal.
    Luke
    Luke

Post  Luke Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:48 pm

What about a 25mm bathplug?
    Acerised
    Acerised

Post  Acerised Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 pm

There is no such thing as a 25mm path plug. 32mm is the smallest available bath plug.
    Luke
    Luke

Post  Luke Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:57 pm

acerised wrote:There is no such thing as a 25mm path plug. 32mm is the smallest available bath plug.
    Yes there is, Bunnings and Masters both stock them.
    boothy
    boothy

Post  boothy Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:59 pm

pretty sure i have one in my NF rifle WIP (fits in 32mm grey conduit?)
    evozn
    evozn

Post  evozn Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:00 pm

The smallest bath plug is 18mm, the 25mm fits into 32mm UPVC.
    Acerised
    Acerised

Post  Acerised Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks Luke, I will look into it.
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Can verify the 25mm bathplug. One is currently sitting in my RFR's expanded plunger tube.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat May 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Can't believe I didn't reply to this sooner...

This looks really good mate - the catch is genius, and I like the stock as well.

I think you should probably send it up to me for a paint job though... haha

Cheers,
    Acerised
    Acerised

Post  Acerised Sat May 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback Clunk! Better now than never.

I like the yellow stock colours, I wanted to keep it looking stock as possible.

Last edited by Acerised on Sat May 19, 2012 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sniperdude49
    sniperdude49

Post  sniperdude49 Sat May 19, 2012 11:44 pm

How come your Longshot has those orange bits with screws and mine doesnt?

Acerised's L'BOW Tutorial 301em510
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Sun May 20, 2012 2:52 am

I noticed this over the 2 longshots I have bought. I think its either a production variance, or someone forgot to put yours in.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:34 pm