Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+2
littlebro05
son of eevil
6 posters

Novacastrian Nerfer (Newcastle, NSW)

son of eevil

Novacastrian Nerfer (Newcastle, NSW) Empty Novacastrian Nerfer (Newcastle, NSW)

Post  son of eevil Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:11 pm

Hello there,

My name is Mitch(ell) AKA Son of Eevil. Relitevely new to nerfing brought my 1st gun (A Maverick) a week ago after deciding that they look like they might be interesting to paint and muck around with (wow was I right) took my a week cost me $100 in paints (Only needed to have spent $50...[You learn though right?])and it turned out like this:
    Novacastrian Nerfer (Newcastle, NSW) Image

Novacastrian Nerfer (Newcastle, NSW) Image

I then ordered myself a Longshot and after chasing my cats around for 5 minutes I pulled it apart and started painting and modding in between coats of primer. So far I've done the AR removal mod and am in the process of finding a suitable spring, I've contacted a spring making company and am triyng to find a good inner spring for the sled (wish me luck).

Also a little about me, I'm 20 I live in Newcastle, I'm a musician (Guitar, Drums, Vocals, you name it!), I'm a truck driver, I'm an EX-I.T student with a couple of Network Engineering certificated (making me the most qualified truck driver in Australia ). I'm also in the process of organising a Humans VS Zombies gathering in Newcastle. If your interested e-mail me at sonofeevil@optusnet.com.au and let me know that your interested so I can keep you up to date!

Pleased to meet you all!
    Mitch
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Novacastrian Nerfer (Newcastle, NSW) Empty Re: Novacastrian Nerfer (Newcastle, NSW)

Post  littlebro05 Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:14 pm

First of all. That painted maverick would not be allowed at HvZ wars or any war in general.

The NUMBER ONE rule of HvZ... okay, I don't know what that rule is, but I do know that you are NOT allowed to paint your Nerf guns anything dark coloured.

However, that is a pretty good paintjob :).

Happy nerfin'.
    son of eevil

Novacastrian Nerfer (Newcastle, NSW) Empty Re: Novacastrian Nerfer (Newcastle, NSW)

Post  son of eevil Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:30 am

Not exactly a warm welcome... I'm familiar with the rule, however I don't quite understand it? (So people don't get confused with real guns and suddenly your in court saying "But he was a zombie!!")\

I'm the one organising the Newcastle HvZ so unless I get a really good reason why not to I'll probably let painted/modified weapons in upon inspection (to make sure they're not going to hurt anyone).

Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:43 am

they need to have the orange tip on them otherwise they are considered to be an actual weapon. It is stupid yes, but that it how it is.

On a lighter note, welcome to the forums. I wouldn't mind getting into the HvZ sometime as it looks like a bucket load of fun.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:54 am

Joey wrote:they need to have the orange tip on them otherwise they are considered to be an actual weapon. It is stupid yes, but that it how it is.

On a lighter note, welcome to the forums. I wouldn't mind getting into the HvZ sometime as it looks like a bucket load of fun.

Exactly. Hence that being one of the NUMBER ONE rules of HvZ. Cops can charge you in possession of a real firearm without that orange tip. :).
    son of eevil

Post  son of eevil Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Oh awesome, ha ha. Bunch of guys chasing eachother around a park the swat run in and start cleanng up everyone, ha ha.

I knew that was a rule in the USA to distinguish the replIca Airsoft rifles from real ones. I was under the (wrong) assumption it didn't apply in Australia due to the fact that we don't have airsoft. What's the go with Pantball guns then? Are they okay becase you require a firearms lcense to own one?

I'm guessing the "must look like a toy" rule is so there can't be any confusion?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:50 pm

Err I don't think you can bring Paintball guns in public since you need a gun license for it. I'm not sure about that one.

Yeah, must look like a toy. When you start painting stuff to look like 'real steal colours' or 'camo', that's when shit happens.
    son of eevil

Post  son of eevil Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:33 pm

littlebro05 wrote:Err I don't think you can bring Paintball guns in public since you need a gun license for it. I'm not sure about that one.

Yeah, must look like a toy. When you start painting stuff to look like 'real steal colours' or 'camo', that's when shit happens.

You can bring standard firearms into a public area they need to be clearly visible in a holster and the possessor must have an appropriate firearms license, I also believe you need a reason for it so "Because it makes me look cool." is gonna get you a fine. However recreational activities like hunting (remember the bush is still a public place) and for the purposes of work (the only jobs i can think of are Police Officer and Army-person[Who are a law among themselves]). Having said that I honestly don't think you'll get away with ANY excuse walking down your local mall with a leather holster and a Glock claiming "I just came from the shooting range", because honestly, you could have just left it in your car. In summary, it is legal if you have a good reason and "good" is at the discretion of the Officer questioning you.

I can see why the Nerf Wars and HvZ's don't let painted weapons in just means there can't be ANY confusion about weather it's a toy if the police were to get a call from a nearby resident claiming they see people running around their park with guns.

Edit: oh snap! Nerf isn't even technically legal in SA! http://www.legislativelunacy.com/index.php?pr=New_SA_Gun_Laws
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:53 pm

LOL! That is quite interesting on the SA part. Eh, I'd like not to jynx those things. Then again, there's a few things that aren't 'technically' legal in law, but it still is.

I'd like to point out that somewhere on the forums there was dude (in Brisbane incidentally) who was charged and 'evicted' from that area for 10 days because he hoistered a Maverick with stock colours. When the cop came up to him and questioned him, the guy said 'I'm playing this big game where other Nerfers have to get me or vice versa. The cop didn't take that as an excused and that's what happened.

So if you were to hoist a darkly coloured Maverick in public, that's what could also happen.

And you're not a 12 year old kid with no common sense anymore LOL, it's usually only the 12 year old kids who think "Oh my god, my Nerf gun is so cool cause I painted it Black".
    son of eevil

Post  son of eevil Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:40 am

That's right, I'm not. I'm unsure of what your intention was with that last comment but I found that rather rude and insulting. At not point have I behaved in a manner that in any way resembled that of a 12 year old boy.

Infact I've not disagreed with you on anything I'm finding it hard to work out where this hostility is coming from?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:41 am

I know you haven't. I'm just stereotyping.

Sorry, if it sounds like I'm showing any hostility, but I honestly though I haven't. Sorry, if I did. And I liked your Paint Job. I'm just being an OCD and pedantic on the rules on Oznerf :(.

I just pointing out the fact some dude did get charged for just hoisting a Maverick in his pocket. Which was completely silly. If you know what I mean. And no, I'm not calling you a 12 year old kid. In essence, those who Nerf, Laser Skirmish, Paintball or Airsoft have a little of a '12 year old kid' inside of them. Otherwise, we wouldn't find this as enjoyable as it should be.

It's when someone has the 'other part' of the 12 year old inside of them that lacks common sense is when shit goes to ground.

So sorry if I have offended you.

Also, do you go to Uni? I think that be a good way to get the whole HvZ started.
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:55 am

Simple common sense applies here.

Paint it bright if your going to use it in public, don't bend the rule, this if for a number of reasons which should be obvious. Were here to have a good time and not give the media something to chew on.

I don't care how you paint your guns, it looks nice but that sort of thing just isn't appropriate in public areas. Sounds stupid yes but that is the state of society.

Quit the whinging and legal arguments.

---

On topic, looks great and welcome to the forums
    son of eevil

Post  son of eevil Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:45 am

Mate not a problem in the world. Just a breakdown in communication. If only every issue could be solved as civilised as this one.

I don't go to uni, I uses to go to tafe I just drive trucks at the moment, however my gf goes to uni. I was going to get a website up soonish and get some posters up at the uni and local tafes'.

And thanks I'm painting a longshot now I'm gonna try and make a 100ft monster C863 spring bolt sled reinforcement AR removal bit of dampening on the Pluger O-ring replacent (might experiment with doubles) push button pen trigger spring breach and barrel replacement. Hoping to get 100ft with the above setup, I'm feeling that standard darts won't go the distance I'm chasing or last very long and I might need to make some Stefans'.

Think I'm aiming too high?
    kingkottah
    kingkottah

Post  kingkottah Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:41 am

Hi There is a couple nerfers in the Newcastle area we can organise a war when ever but for me Sundays are the main time I can go (parents working times/days change weekly sunday is my only always comfirmed) So if the rains stop we could probably have a war (preferably sun,mon,thurs.)
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:32 am

son of eevil wrote:Mate not a problem in the world. Just a breakdown in communication. If only every issue could be solved as civilised as this one.

I don't go to uni, I uses to go to tafe I just drive trucks at the moment, however my gf goes to uni. I was going to get a website up soonish and get some posters up at the uni and local tafes'.

And thanks I'm painting a longshot now I'm gonna try and make a 100ft monster C863 spring bolt sled reinforcement AR removal bit of dampening on the Pluger O-ring replacent (might experiment with doubles) push button pen trigger spring breach and barrel replacement. Hoping to get 100ft with the above setup, I'm feeling that standard darts won't go the distance I'm chasing or last very long and I might need to make some Stefans'.

Think I'm aiming too high?

No you're not aiming too high. That's perfectly fine. However I would like to point out that a C836spring in a Longshot is a horrible spring because it's not the full length of the plunger. Also the compression ratio to uncompression is very crappy (phuonguyen can explain this in details). All I can say is this... Let me make up the mis-communication by giving you some of my experience with a LongShot.

We compared two Longshots.

Longshot #1: C836spring + LS stock spring = MAX of 28metres
    LongShot #2: NF overly stretched to the point that it won't go back to original size + LS stock spring = MAX of 26metres

As you can see if you're going to put a c836Spring into your LS, you will be putting unneccesary stress on your plunger head. If you want a very good spring PM "WinterStrike" for custom upgrade springs. He is able to squeeze out a maximum of 30metres with JUST one spring. One Spring meaning there will be less overall stress. Correct me if I'm wrong someone ><. $20 with postage... is the cost. Not sure if he has any left.

If you want to make your Longshot shoot even further and still utilise clips... Look here. I've done this to my LongShot#2 description and I managed to get a MAX of 28-30metres. Using stefans of course. With Winterstrike springs you will be looking at roughtly 35metres or so. Maybe more.

http://modworks.blogspot.com/2010/03/nerf-longshot-brass-breech-mod-guide.html

Here's a tutorial on how to make the Brass Breech.

If you want a LongShot Reinforce boltsled tutorial. I have wrote one up and you can find it in the link below...

http://www.oznerf.com/modifications-f1/write-up-longshot-boltsled-reinforcement-t2051.htm

If you want to spend about $70+ more. You can get a fully aluminium boltsled through one of the members under ChrisB. Look him up on the member list and PM for more info.

In regards for spreading Nerf. You should defs get your GF and yourself to start advertising HvZ or regular wars. Don't show them any modifications until it's all started. When people Nerf, they usually look up for guides on how to mod their blaster to shoot further anyway.

Hope that helps.

If you're making a site. inf0rm3r is currently building one with many systems which will make Nerfing much, much easier.

son of eevil

Post  son of eevil Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:02 pm

I read a big 4 page topic on the C836 and decided it might not be the BEST choice but in terms of price it's the easiest I was going to reinforce the boltsled with a wire coat hanger, but your aluminium looks better. Did you just cut that with scissors? has anyone had any issues with using copper/brass breach and an aluminium/aluminium braced boltsled and corrosion, my year 12 chemistry tells me there's a problem there ha ha. I can't imagine it'd be TOO great of a problem as long as you weren't having underwater Nerf battles or running around in the rain a lot.

PM'd WinterStrike hoping to hear back from him shortly any idea what he charges for the springs?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:22 pm

Yes you can cut it with scissors if you use aluminium sheets that are of 0.5mm. Thicker than that, scissors will struggle. Although 1mm maybe a little too thick.
    son of eevil

Post  son of eevil Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:53 pm

I'll have to use brass for the breech if you use Copper (which was my 1st idea) you'll eventually end up with a corrosion build up and have the strip the thing to clean it up Aluminium is more reactive then copper with the addition of water you end up a battery going on inside your gun (it's not dangerous) but over time you'll get a build up on the copper. I'll roll with the Brass because it's an alloy wont' be a problem with corrosion. I'm assuming the Aluminium will be galvanized anyway but not worth the time it would take the clean out a tube down the line

Got a PM back from Winterstrike too. You were right on the money Phuonguyen $20.50.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:59 pm

Aluminium can be used but it's not as good as brass and there isn't a guide for it.

If you're going to do the reinforcement, you should do it the aluminium way. The coat hanger method isn't as solid. I'm basing this off the fact that a forum member here under the name of Aj did this method (before me) and has had his boltsled hanging for about 3-4 years now.
    son of eevil

Post  son of eevil Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:07 pm

littlebro05 wrote:Aluminium can be used but it's not as good as brass and there isn't a guide for it.

If you're going to do the reinforcement, you should do it the aluminium way. The coat hanger method isn't as solid. I'm basing this off the fact that a forum member here under the name of Aj did this method (before me) and has had his boltsled hanging for about 3-4 years now.

Yeah I was going to go with the Brass, seems like the better way thinner wall thickness. I was going to do it your way seemed like the better way to do it, is it difficult to get it to bend around the plastic?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:13 pm

You don't actually bend it on to the plastic. You know how tehre was permanent marker left there. I use them as a guide to bend them with pliers. Theyy have the perfect measurement.

0.5mm aluminium is fairly soft too so it's not too hard to bend em.
    son of eevil

Post  son of eevil Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Ahh, ok, bend to the inside of the black line right?

Wow this has gotten grossly off topic! I'm however scared to make a post anywhere else... Mods seem pretty strict about repeat topics and people making too many threads...
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:42 pm

No that is completely fine. Keep on learning. It's good.

Yeah bend into the black line. basically place your pliers over the blackline and bend it inwards.
    son of eevil

Post  son of eevil Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:32 pm

Just paid for my WinterStrike spring =) Super keen to get it! WinterStrike assures me that the spring on it's own won't break the boltsled but I'm in the habit of fixing things that aren't broken, ha ha. So tomorrow gonna do your .5mm aluminium reinforcement and try to do the rebreech and work out my own replacement barrel. Super duper wanna hit 100ft + So far I've done the AR removal blocked the hole on the underside of the breech.

JUST then I made a replacement barrel out of aluminium that slips inside the old Orange one will do a write right now and prop it up for other people.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:24 pm

That sounds great.

And not to be a worry wart, but the Winterstrike is wrong. If my NF + LS springed Longshot had a crack in it (about 5mm from breaking). His spring will eventually wear out the sled too. And I'm not kidding, his spring is BEEFY.

Hmm an Aluminium barrel replacemet aye. Brass would of been better unless you're planning to use 13mm stefans
    son of eevil

Post  son of eevil Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:07 am

The Alunminium was just what I had laying around after my last attempt at making thermite, ha ha.
    Khail
    Khail

Post  Khail Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:36 pm

@Son of eevil
    Don’t mind Littlebro, hes a little harsh off the bat, he means well. . . I think. As for the

http://www.legislativelunacy.com/index.php?pr=New_SA_Gun_Laws

I think the 2nd and 3rd dot points of “NOT AN IMITATION FIREARM:” would protect nerf toys from being classed as firearms

@Littlebro
    35Meters, with just a brass breech, aluminium renforment and Winterstrikes spring. That’s awesome. That’s basicly what im doing, I'm currently waiting on informers foam to arive, so I can confirm my brass barrle size before I dive in. I'll add a few other things like O – rings and lubricants, but you have me quite exited now = D
    son of eevil

Post  son of eevil Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:39 am

I found an interesting one in my searches the other night in regards to NSW imitation gun laws and what's considered a toy. Blew the "Orange tip" myth out of the water I'll try and dig it up a bit later it's in the Newcastle Nerf War page though if you can't wait, ha ha.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:49 am