Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+8
Akimbo Assassin
brianlholden
stoph
Sairex
clunk07
littlebro05
mister_elliott
chefnashy
12 posters

Stampede issues, have me stumped.

chefnashy
    chefnashy

Stampede issues, have me stumped. Empty Stampede issues, have me stumped.

Post  chefnashy Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:49 pm

hey guys, this is my first post here but i have been reading a lot of posts from you all and i have to say great work. Anyway i recently purchased a nerf stampede this is my first nerf gun and i love it, zoo much so that i decided to mod it by upping voltage to 15v and adding a stronger spring kit that i brought from black tactical and then the problems started. first off the gun would shoot non stop full auto but i read some posts and was able to fix that particular issue next the gun fired about 3 shots and then didn't fire at all, by that i mean the bolt assembly moves foreword and seems to breach a dart but doesn't launch it, the whole assembly then retracts but the dart is left where it was in the magazine- this is the problem i can't figure out as I'm 90% sure i put everything together wright and i checked the catch spring and its in the correct spot.
    i like to think of myself as being quite handy and i generally figure things out quickly but this just doesn't make sense to me, any help that i can get from you guys would be enormously appreciated.
    thanks
    chefnashy
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Stampede issues, have me stumped. Empty Re: Stampede issues, have me stumped.

Post  mister_elliott Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Welcome to the community mate!

The best i can come up with is the knowledge that the actual output of batteries can vary considerably when they are placed under high loads, like the upgraded spring. So if that's the problem you'll need new batts, or to charge them.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:14 pm

If you could paragraph your stuff, it would be alot more easier to read. That way people can be bothered trying to help you =). Just sayin'. Would you read a bunch of text like that?

When it fully automatically keep going, does it still shoot the darts?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:49 am

I assume that you've used 10 x AA batteries to do the increase to 15v??

If that's the case, then it sounds like the batt's don't have enough charge left in them. Using AA's is a very expensive way of doing the voltage increase. It may be cheaper to begin with, but each set won't last long.

You need to get yourself a 4 x AA battery holder, a WF-139 charger, and 4 unprotected li-ion 14500's, for this upgrade to work effectively. Alternately, you can use a 12v SLA battery.

SLA's are available from various electronic/RC hobby stores.

Li-ion/charger's etc can be sourced from myself, or from dealextreme etc etc. Just make sure you get unprotected 14500 batt's.

Cheers,
    chefnashy
    chefnashy

Post  chefnashy Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:18 am

I'm actually using 2 x7.4v rc hobby batteries wired in series. I'm pretty sure that these will work but if i can't find a fix today i will take u up on your battery offer cluck07.

thanks for the tip littlebro05 in the future i will paragraph my posts:).

The gun DOES NOT fire a dart it just moves the whole bolt assembly foreword and backward.

Thanks for the replies guys:)
    Sairex
    Sairex

Post  Sairex Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:24 am

i had a similar problem with a brand new out of the box stampede when i used the raider drum.

did you check to see if any darts were still stuck in the barrel and/or the breech?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:28 am

I've heard about that. There maybe a possibility that the gears are out of place. I'm not too sure. Does it fire when you decrease the voltage back to 9Vs?
    chefnashy
    chefnashy

Post  chefnashy Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:30 am

hey, thanks for the idea's. unfortunately no darts are left in the breach or barrel ect....

i will give the voltage decrease a go and get back to ya.
    thanks
    stoph
    stoph

Post  stoph Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:41 am

Are you able to film/photograph the cycle? Only if you have it setup to fire with one side out. Sometimes it helps to see the cycle to diagnose the problem. I was going to ask whether you have the plunger rod in the right way up, but if it's firing a few shots then that shouldn't be the fault. Hope you work it out soon!
    brianlholden
    brianlholden

Post  brianlholden Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:48 am

You could bring it to the melbourne mod night and a few of us could take a look, it will be on the 16th of Aug in Ringwood (along way for you i know) I will be posting up an open invite soon
    chefnashy
    chefnashy

Post  chefnashy Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:00 am

ok so i figured out whats going on, it seems that the bolt assembly is not traveling the full way foreword and is not releasing the plunger so it won't fire a dart.

at first i thought it was slipping gears so i pulled apart the gearbox and to my dismay there is no signs of slipping gears.

so i replaced the stock spring and all is going fine, but weirdly its not firing as quickly as it used to so i thought the batteries might be flat.

i charged them up and whadda you know it worked with the upgraded spring.

After all day of pulling this thing apart and fiddling around it was the damned batteries, just goes to show even when you think the batts are charged they might not be.

I feel so damned dumb for not checking this first.

Thanks for your input guys.
    chefnashy
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:18 am

Glad you sorted out your Stampede problem. I still have the same problem with mine with the plunger tube only sliding partway and slided back and stopped with a dart in the plunger tube, just like yours. But mine has Servulus's spring (apparently stronger than SgNerf's and BT's springs). My four 14500 Lithium-ion batteris have no problem firing my other Stampede with SgNerf's spring, but cannot fire with Servulus's spring. Still waiting for time to try different configuration of batteries (maybe 5 or 6 batteries) or different brand of batteries.
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:40 pm

mister_elliott wrote:The best i can come up with is the knowledge that the actual output of batteries can vary considerably when they are placed under high loads, like the upgraded spring. So if that's the problem you'll need new batts, or to charge them.

I really love it when i tell people shit for the hell of it and then get completely ignored, only for the person to stumble upon the solution themselves. It really makes me feel like I'm not just wasting my damn time.

Honestly if I can be bothered to read your illegible filth, run through a mental checklist of problems and solutions, and then courteously post the correct solution FIVE MINUTES LATER you should at least have the decency to check back.
    chefnashy
    chefnashy

Post  chefnashy Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:32 pm

geez man calm down, i did check through your post but i honestly thought my batts were charged fully when i read it so i didn't bother checking them until i covered all other bases.

Im sorry that i offended you, but i was clearly unaware of the rules that dictate careful paragraphing of posts considering it was my first post on this forum as i apologised as soon as someone made it clear to me.

Thanks
    chefnashy
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:42 pm

It's alright chefnashy. The main thing is that you now talk in paragraphs and make it easier for everybody else to read

@mister_elliot I'm sure he didn't ignore his post at all. It's just that like he said, thought they were fully charged, so he wanted to check out other possibilities. If it is erratically auto firing, one would assume that the batts are fully charged anyway. Try not to get angry next time... it's not good for these forums.

If he doesn't give you appreciation or if you feel that he hasn't, just ignore it and not assist next time.

@chefnashy - don't worry we'll help you out though.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:52 pm

I feel for you ME, it is frustrating.

For all you people out there doing voltage mod's, it doesn't matter if you're using li-ion's, SLA's, li-po's etc etc, buy yourself a digital multi-meter, you don't need to spend a fortune.

And, when it comes to trouble-shooting, the normal logic is to start with the simple checks, then move on to the more difficult/technical testing.

In my experience, it's normally the little things that are over-looked, and that goes for most things in life, not just Nerf.

@chefnashy, now would probably be a good opportunity for you to re-visit the forum rules. Not only will it help you with future posts, but it will also encourage other's to help you out more, if you require further assistance down the track.

Cheers,
    Vavoom
    Vavoom

Post  Vavoom Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:56 pm

I thought I'd do a hijack of this thread rather than make another one.
    I've got a clip stuck inside my Stampede. One side of the clip release switches (left side when pointing gun away from myself) is free to move back and forth but the right one can't be budged. The gun still fires so obviously the clip interlock is engaged. What could be the issue?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:58 pm

@Vavoom. I think I have an answer to that question. There's a possibility that the slit in the clip where the clip well clicks into is a little too wide. If you open it up, you will see that the 'pressure switch' is engaged into the slit.

I'm pretty sure that's what the problem is. Happened to a Stampede I was looking into fixing.
    Vavoom
    Vavoom

Post  Vavoom Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Damn I was hoping to avoid having to open it up but I guess I'll have to. While I'm in there, is there a fix I can do so it doesn't happen again?
    Echoes
    Echoes

Post  Echoes Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:17 pm

That happened to Reece and his friend. I just pulled on the clip and it came out -.-
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:22 pm

Vavoom wrote:Damn I was hoping to avoid having to open it up but I guess I'll have to. While I'm in there, is there a fix I can do so it doesn't happen again?

I would just not use that clip. When I was fixing that problem, I was using different clips and it would come out, where as that one clip jammed in there.
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:30 am

If the gap for the catch is too wide it might be worth trying to glue in a thin strip of alu of whatever. Other than that just pull out every lock except one like i did.
    Vavoom
    Vavoom

Post  Vavoom Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:18 am

mister_elliott wrote: Other than that just pull out every lock except one like i did.
    How would I go about removing the clip lock? Is there a tutorial out there somewhere to do this?
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:31 am

There's no need to remove the clip lock, as you can pull the clip out at any point in time (unless it's firing, in which case, you're a bit weird).
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:52 am

I didn't really mean locks... I was actually referring to the pressure 'kill' switches in the magwell (which in my defence bear the same function of preventing the user from firing when a mag isn't in). I pulled all those out except the wedge shaped one. I removed them by clipping the wires and twisting them together, bypassing the pressure switch.

Not something I'd advise, but when I had mine open for the first time I wasn't getting a response from the motor, and removing the switches one by one eventually got it working.

Last edited by mister_elliott on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity.)
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:06 pm

I cut-out the wiring to 3 of the 4 inter-lock's in all my Stampede's. Less wiring, less hassle's.

Cheers,
    Vavoom
    Vavoom

Post  Vavoom Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 am

clunk07 wrote:I cut-out the wiring to 3 of the 4 inter-lock's in all my Stampede's. Less wiring, less hassle's.

Cheers,
    I think this is what I want to do. Is it an easy job?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:11 am

Vavoom wrote:
    clunk07 wrote:I cut-out the wiring to 3 of the 4 inter-lock's in all my Stampede's. Less wiring, less hassle's.

Cheers,
    I think this is what I want to do. Is it an easy job?

Stampede issues, have me stumped. Nerf_s10

For the 2 inter-locks on the barrel side of the clip, remove the orange cover (blue box), and cut the two red wires, giving yourself enough length to strip some insulation. Drop on a piece of heat-shrink, join the wires, solder, and move the heatshrink over the join. Put the wires back in the channels, and replace the cover.

For the third inter-lock (red box), remove the orange pieces, and you'll see that you can slide the inter-lock back (so it's in the on position)and can glue it there with some super-glue. It's a pretty effective solution. It will make more sense once you're looking at it.

Cheers,
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:15 pm

With the clip jamming issue, i think the problem is the switch just above the red box? The trigger for it is a little plastic leaf that juts out over the clip lock. Probably best removed in a way that it can be un-removed if it happens to be a vital component.
    Vavoom
    Vavoom

Post  Vavoom Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I opened it up and checked it and cleared it all up. While I was in there I decided to disconnect the on/off switch as well.
    xylish
    xylish

Post  xylish Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:10 am

Hey Chefnashy, how did you fix the full auto problem. Can you post a link to the thread where you found a solution?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:57 am

Hey,

A lot of the time, continual firing after the trigger has been released is due to the small catch control spring falling out of alignment, or the gearbox cog teeth being out of alignment.

There's a really good thread created by SgNerf, that troubleshoots the most common issues with Stampede's.

http://nerfsg.freeforums.org/nerf-stampede-troubleshooting-guide-t1877.html?sid=4e9ade4c50c594db1d3def2e3dacb9c2

Cheers,

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:39 pm