Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+19
abowden
hichrich
TheKhakinator
jackattack
cray-
Jackolow
CobraNerf
Akimbo Assassin
Enity
jdhomedog
Nick
jacko1120
Biggles
shan52
Genericwizardguy
kingkottah
neumein
Hamish
Foam Militia
23 posters

The 'Covers most bases Maverick mod'

LiveB8
    LiveB8

The 'Covers most bases Maverick mod' - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'Covers most bases Maverick mod'

Post  LiveB8 Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:21 pm

Funny cause both my Elements have had the AR dug out with a heated screw driver (gotta love percision tools lol) and a few elastic bands from the plunger to the front of the gun (will add pics later) and it's doing nearly twice the range of my AR removed Maverick at this point in time.
    DrBloodmoney
    DrBloodmoney

The 'Covers most bases Maverick mod' - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'Covers most bases Maverick mod'

Post  DrBloodmoney Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:06 am

Well, this topic is getting along a bit but I just thought I would share a few little points of discovery made while modding 6 mavericks.

The large number is three-fold in reason, firstly they were only $14 over the Christmas season in Kmart. Secondly, a good friend of mine and his 3 kids are Nerfnuts (and enjoyed some fairly safely modded nerf guns as presents) and thirdly, I kept one for myself, much to my wife's dismay (although she enjoys shooting me with it to no end).

I'm not going to cover the already outlined basic mods you know so well.

Point 1-
    A fantastic source for a second spring in your Maverick is the spring from a cheap 'plunger' type de-soldering pump.
    See link for example.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Solder_sucker_with_spring_taken_out.jpg
    As long as your desolder pump is similar to this one the spring should neatly fit down inside the stock maverick spring.
    Note- To make the spring fit onto the back of the Maverick's moving piston you will need to trim the plastic 'X' slightly narrower to seat the smaller diameter spring, I suggest side cutters and a sharp knife.
    This mod works well with the '4 x 5cent piece stacked behind the spring' mod.
    Obviously never store the maverick cocked, especially with this or any other spring mod, as the extra spring force will weaken it considerably and the springs will also suffer.
    The extra cocking force required should have you being less violent and more smooth with your cocking action unless you plan to reinforce the steel pin mounts in the slide.

Responding to previous comments about the steel slide pin.
    This steel pin is very strong but the platic tabs it is held by in the slide are the weak point.
    As hichrich suggested, a replacement steel pin that goes right through the slide is a good idea for spring modded guns. I havent found the weakness of the original cocking tab on the piston itself being too weak, after 500 plus shots.

Point 2-
    The design for the mavericks dry fire safety valves is ingenious and as 3 of the mavericks I modded were for kids, I left the AR's more or less intact for them (boo!) with the exception of drilling the 3 round holes in each AR plate out to 3mm, 18 holes opened up in total per gun. They are normally 2mm and drilling them to 3mm allows for much less air-restriction while still keeping the gun safe to 'dry-fire' (doesn't spring slam).

This gives you a more powerful but still kid safe (abuse tolerant) gun.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

Happy Nerfing.

Last edited by DrBloodmoney on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar update.)
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 am

Nick wrote:i just did the AR removal part of the mod, closed my gun back up and now the darts wont shoot. I put them in and then cock it then shoot buy all I hear is a big click (like the shooting noise) put nothing shoots out. Any ideas?

I have this problem, and I don't know how to fix it.

Lol my plunger wasn't flush with the barrel.

Works now

But will dry firing without the AR damage the gun?

My range with the AR out was

Flat- 11m w/ streamlines
    Flat- 7.5m w/ suction darts

measured with measuring tape
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:24 am

Xoenz wrote:But will dry firing without the AR damage the gun?

Flat- 11m w/ streamlines

All I can say is there is a higher chance of you damaging your gun when dry firing without AR. Whether it will break or not is up to your luck.

That range of yours is very similar to mine without AR, but now mine shoots further due to replacement of spring to a BT spring.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 am

Akimbo Assassin wrote:
    Xoenz wrote:But will dry firing without the AR damage the gun?

Flat- 11m w/ streamlines

All I can say is there is a higher chance of you damaging your gun when dry firing without AR. Whether it will break or not is up to your luck.

That range of yours is very similar to mine without AR, but now mine shoots further due to replacement of spring to a BT spring.

Any significant increase of range with BT spring? How many metres?
    Scout
    Scout

Post  Scout Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:29 pm

Has anyone else noticed that in the AR removal part we go from a clear turret to a black turret back to a clear turret. I guess I am just to nitpicky.
    kingkottah
    kingkottah

Post  kingkottah Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Its because he forgot to take pictures as if we (people who have done write-ups) have never forgotten to take a picture or two.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm