Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+32
mentalmatt
AlmostExperts
Servulus
Nerf Doctor
Moonsword
infernofalcon
The Cheshire Ranger
bulletproofvest
Chronic1
Atlas8817
vulcan avenger
jacko1120
Reaper
littlebro05
Winterstrike
Chaos-Blades
crumpetstastenice
Hamish
Obsidianmike
Aaron
Biggles
-Aj-
R@w$o 4
Foam Militia
splosionman
who
TheBradl3s
melbourneSTORM4eva
killerbunny
NightCabbage
Genericwizardguy
Frankie27
36 posters

Forum Changes - All MUST Read.

Forum Changes - All MUST Read. - Page 2 Empty Re: Forum Changes - All MUST Read.

Post  Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm just guessing that I was one of the rejected peeps... I don't really care, I'm not that of a good modder... I'm decent but not of the likes of other people. I'll stick with this website.
    Frankie27
    Frankie27
    Founder
    Founder

Forum Changes - All MUST Read. - Page 2 Empty Re: Forum Changes - All MUST Read.

Post  Frankie27 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:12 pm

-Aj- wrote:prove my worth? I just said it wasn't a competition

the site started like a week ago, and is running on a temporary platform.. I DIDN'T say we ARE the best I'm saying we're aiming for that in the future.

The website being built integrates 3 complex open source platforms, it's not going to be up in a week, more like a couple months. The 'socialgo' platform the temp site is on just gives people a basic feel for some of the features that make this kind of website different, however you wont be able to access them if you're not a member, and tbh, I sure as hell aint validating you.

Also I dont really feel like I have to prove anything to you, or any members of this site.

I dont think I've attacked anybody, I've simply said that for oznerf to get all high and mighty is silly, immature and pointless, and yet you continue to get all 'up in my grillzz'

Aj

I'm on your side in terms of competition. This isn't a competition. And it shouldn't be. Your site will be what some need, but not what others need. Its basically what your after. I felt somewhat disappointed when I read you won't post your newer content here. Sure, you have the right to post it where you want but there is no need for these sites to become rivals.

Sharing is the key here. If we can work together, the Nerf community will be stronger than ever.
    I'm gonna sign up now, you better validate me
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:14 pm

@ Rawso?

lol I started nerfing before oznerf, and have learnt essentially everything I know from other websites. I don't hate this site, its just if say someone I worked with asked 'whats this nerf thing all about' or some guy walking past us playing a nerf war goes 'you guys have a website?' I would not be confident in sending them here, as the members don't often act with the larger picture in mind or much maturity and I would not be confident that they would get the information that they want/need.

My website is not meant to put oznerf off the map, it's meant to be a place for mostly 18+ nerfers and have features that will allow people to organise and communicate more easily. think nerfhaven + facebook + blog + pretty website. The main reason I'm doing it is because I believe there is a better way to do it than just a forum, and also because I think the community is getting to the point where some filtering would be appreciated by the more mature members, exactly the same reason NH split off from NHQ. I want it to be a new and useful hub for nerf war activity, and to be a tool that makes spreading nerf in Australia easier. The forums and wars are all readable for anybody, and we'll post links to important stuff like nerf wars etc across all nerf sites, this isn't a boycott of oznerf just the start of something else.

@Generic Wizard Guy

I call a spade a spade. If people want me to stop calling them noobs they should attempt to better themselves. I genuinely feel as though I'm not an extraordinary human being, thus if I am able to transition from acting immaturely and not being very good at modding nerf guns to my current state of being then other people are able to make that transition if they are willing to put in the effort.

@Supertastyfish

It's more an age than skill thing, read my blog post, it doesn't mean we hate you or dont want you to be a part of the community, just we cant validate you at this stage. when the new website is in place there will be more validations accepted as we will have the means to create a 'restricted access' level of membership, which means that you cant post in some areas, but still have access to the full social network, wars etc, however on the current platform we cannot do this. It will be standard procedure for all members to start in this 'probation' level and they can progress to full posting rights after completing an online aptitude and forum etiquette test.

Also, I watch on here a lot, if your conduct on here significantly improves/you start posting good meaningful useful stuff, then we'll see that and take that into consideration

Aj
    R@w$o 4
    R@w$o 4

Post  R@w$o 4 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Ok cool AJ that helps me understand

yeah ill be happy to join your site but im still going to be up to date with both sites!

Post  Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:18 pm

What I don't quite get is that your site aj, is a dead end. Without new people, the community will stay small. I think you are a bit on your "high horse" so to speak, saying oh yeah you can't join because you're younger, or a new person. That is how you learn. I think the new australian nerf site is a dumb idea. What I suggest is putting more work into the site, and making it better then it is now.
    R@w$o 4
    R@w$o 4

Post  R@w$o 4 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:20 pm

i totally agree with supertasyfish. He has put everything running through my head and put it onto this page.

i personally am going to join all 3 sites just to keep the nerf community growing but ill only stay up to date with "oz nerf" and "AJ nerf"
    Genericwizardguy
    Genericwizardguy

Post  Genericwizardguy Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:21 pm

-Aj- wrote:
    @Generic Wizard Guy

I call a spade a spade. If people want me to stop calling them noobs they should attempt to better themselves. I genuinely feel as though I'm not an extraordinary human being, thus if I am able to transition from acting immaturely and not being very good at modding nerf guns to my current state of being then other people are able to make that transition if they are willing to put in the effort.
    Aj

I think that the large majority of this community does improve and try, with a few notable exceptions, your point is fair, I'll concede.

Post  Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:25 pm

I think we are missing the point. WE HAVE OUR OWN DOMAIN BABY. The admins put in the work, they paid for the domain, so why is everyone else that had no part of it fighting.
    R@w$o 4
    R@w$o 4

Post  R@w$o 4 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:27 pm

Yeah well done oznerf. it may of taken 3 years but thanks to all the founders and admins who have put in the hard work!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Aaron
    Aaron
    Founder
    Founder

Post  Aaron Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Warriewoodbros wrote:I think we are missing the point. WE HAVE OUR OWN DOMAIN BABY. The admins put in the work, they paid for the domain, so why is everyone else that had no part of it fighting.
    Actually, we didn't pay, YOU donators did!

Post  Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Thanks Aj... I get it now. All I need to do is contribute better and more, and I will have something to offer to fsa. It's like a scholarship.
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:33 pm

SuperTastyfish wrote:What I don't quite get is that your site aj, is a dead end. Without new people, the community will stay small. I think you are a bit on your "high horse" so to speak, saying oh yeah you can't join because you're younger, or a new person. That is how you learn. I think the new australian nerf site is a dumb idea. What I suggest is putting more work into the site, and making it better then it is now.

It's not that we dont want new people.

People of your age are attracted to nerf, by well, nerf themselves. You are their target demographic and there will ALWAYS be a steady influx of newer younger members.

This website is to create a source of new mature aged members, who will have an incredibly POSITIVE effect on Australia's nerf community, these people have money, connections, can vote, can organise, supervise etc The only reason Adelaide is so active is because we have many mature aged members who give a damn, if we can create more and more of these in each state then that means more and more nerf action for you youngsters.

The reason why we age restrict is that the conduct of, or indeed just the presence of, younger members, puts off many mature people from taking this seriously.

Also, you're kinda wrong. You dont learn by POSTING on a forum, you learn by READING on a forum. And holy shit there will be a lot to read I have been spending hours pouring out everything I know about nerf and modding so that it can be put up there for everybody to read and learn from, one of the websites main goals is to have a comprehensive guide to everything from where to buy guns to how to run a nerf war.

I personally feel like I was on a higher horse around 12-6 months ago, when I basically wouldn't share any information with the community, now I'm in the process of sharing everything I know, the only thing is I'm not giving you a chance to post, because shit, why do you need to? In my whole nerfing 'career' I've asked maybe 3... 4.. 5? modding related questions on the whole NIC between NHQ, Nrev, here and NH, and from memory they were on very specific things, not 'how do you do this'. You dont need to ask, you just need to look harder in 99.9999999 percent of cases.

Aj
    Obsidianmike
    Obsidianmike

Post  Obsidianmike Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:35 pm

heres an idea:

Forum Changes - All MUST Read. - Page 2 35060_1347601691305_1269187122_30795946_6277881_n
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:37 pm

Warriewoodbros wrote:I think we are missing the point. WE HAVE OUR OWN DOMAIN BABY. The admins put in the work, they paid for the domain, so why is everyone else that had no part of it fighting.

I agree the domain is a really good step foward, I was actually pretty tempted to buy the 'oznerf' domains a while ago, but in the end I though it'd just be a really mean move

Aj
    Frankie27
    Frankie27
    Founder
    Founder

Post  Frankie27 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:38 pm

@Obsidian: That's pretty good Obsidian, maybe if everything was was more centred and evenly spaced?

AJ, you funny kent.
    R@w$o 4
    R@w$o 4

Post  R@w$o 4 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:39 pm

AJ your absolutely burning this up i think you can argue your way out of anything that you care about. this really shows your dedication to nerf.

I cant wait till when your site is up just so i can read the 347.6 pages of info!

And what is the age limit to your site?

Post  Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:41 pm

Aj. What do you think about me making a "junior" nerf site for noobs to ask noobs questions. Let everyone join fsa but ban them if they ask a stupid question. I'm not sure of your opinion on this idea though. I could run the site...? And I would like to do it even if we weren't allowed to join fsa... It would be a IDEA sharing site.
    R@w$o 4
    R@w$o 4

Post  R@w$o 4 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:43 pm

here is your site your dreaming of. oz nerf welcomes everyone and anyone!
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:49 pm

lol dude I'm a 'master debater' :p

no but seriously, I feel like my 'noob bashing' that I have done occasionally has really given people this idea that I like hate everyone or something, and this isn't the case. What I am serious about is seeing nerf grow.

It seems everyone wants to see nerf grow as well, however we all go about it in our own different ways, and it really hasn't been getting the community anywhere fast for the past few years. There is a much bigger plan than just a new website, and the end goal is that everyone has a place they feel they belong and are welcomed into, along with higher levels to aspire to, so that the 'journey' of a new nerfer is something that is better laid out.

I also want to eventually, with the help of a lot of people because I'm only one time poor person, take all this energy and enthusiasm that we all have for nerf and direct it towards goals, so that people understand how they can contribute meaningfully and powerfully to seeing the sport and community grow.

Aj
    R@w$o 4
    R@w$o 4

Post  R@w$o 4 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:53 pm

yeah that would be great. we just have to decide on a goal???
    maybe an australian wide nerf tournament or something were each state has a war on the same day or something????

any way what is the age limit on your new site?

Post  Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Aj, what you said is literally the most meaningful thing that has been posted on this thread so far.
    Seriously. Apart from the master debater bit. Haha.
    Frankie27
    Frankie27
    Founder
    Founder

Post  Frankie27 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Okay, just read your blog post AJ and realized AustraliaNerf is useless to me. But your concept is really fkn awesome!
    If it gets a decent member base, your site could really work. As you have said, it is doing what OzNerf isn't. Can't wait to see the final product.
    R@w$o 4
    R@w$o 4

Post  R@w$o 4 Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:00 pm

yeah AJ well done mate. you are really putting your heart and soul into this and fighting what you believe for. can he get to be a moderator or something after this amazing speech?

PS - what is the age limit for your new sit?

PPS - like my signature?
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:06 pm

R@w$o 4 wrote:yeah that would be great. we just have to decide on a goal???
    maybe an australian wide nerf tournament or something were each state has a war on the same day or something????

any way what is the age limit on your new site?

It's generally around the 17-18+ mark, with a couple exceptions at the beginning. Like I said this is temporary, so please read for now and when the proper on is up then sign up.

As fas as the goal, we are already doing a 'national war' in melbourne, which is a pretty big achievement, however the goal would more be in terms of size and activity. Like I said everyone seems keen to help move nerf foward and stick their hands up etc however I believe that these things should be done right and be planned well, and this takes time.

To share a little more, I really am aiming to change the forum culture on the new website. It seems that most people, especially new people, aspire to attain status on the forums, I mean c'mon we dont talk about e-peen all the time by accident lol It exists, and while it always will exist, the way in which such status, or to put it in a broader term, recognition, is awarded needs to be adjusted. People seem to want to move up a 'member level', become a moderator etc and so their conduct reflects this, ie members jumping down newbie's throats about spelling etc this place is choc full of backseat moderators, and I'll fully admit that I too have posted things like this on this forum and others. To me it seems like everyone, especially the younger members who already feel 'looked down upon' by the older crown, wants to get to the top so they try and push others down, and hence the forum becomes a hostile place. Fixing this is hard, however it takes a really good understanding of what the aim is... ideally, the idea I wish to promote is that in a forum, posting well written, new, original and innovative content is THE highest thing anyone can aspire to do, rather than become a moderator or a contributor etc. And that while there will be membership levels on the FSA forums the way to advance is to post good content, rather than try and make yourself stand out by abiding by and enforcing the rules on others, which seems rife in many communities.

Aj
    R@w$o 4
    R@w$o 4

Post  R@w$o 4 Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:27 pm

You just keep getting better and better dont you!
    I agree with you fully there i myself have back-seat moderated many times before but now after seeing this i will stop.

What i think we need to try and do is if someone makes a topic about something we all know about or we consider "noobish" we should give them advise and let them edit there topic and try again rather than just saying "your gonna get banned you idiot, are you right in the head?" then locking the topic

This should be a completely user friendly society rather about giving advice and helping newbies rather than a "you must do everything right or else your banned"

I know your new site will be more for mature age nerfers who know about all this stuff but it is still good for other nerfers to know this stuff and be aware that not everyone may write intelligent topics that are 3 pages long and involve big words.

One more thing with your new site i think it shouldn't me 18+ more of a 14 or fifteen plus as this is the age when nerfers start maturing and get a better understanding rather than it just being for adults. Just thoughts!

Rawso

Last edited by R@w$o 4 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Hamish
    Hamish

Post  Hamish Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:28 pm

@ Aj sounds like a speech as good as Hitler's... Wait! Did I just compare nerf to real combat? No! NO! NO! Aah who else wrote good speech? Umm...well... I don't know someone good.

Since I am so specially awesome and I can spell (ZOMG EXTRA BONUS! Extra bonus? That's tautology) So hopefully I do get a part in FSA as I do not lurk and I come to most wars.

-HaMish

P.S. The 'M' in my name is a capital.
    splosionman

Post  splosionman Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Come now hamish, no one would ever expect you to become a forum lurker.

Also that post was significantly random and grovely.
    crumpetstastenice
    crumpetstastenice

Post  crumpetstastenice Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:32 pm

@Rawso
    Sounds like something that just happened to me like 10 mins ago...
    R@w$o 4
    R@w$o 4

Post  R@w$o 4 Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:46 pm

yeah man sorry about that

Hb avenger + splosionman you just came in here and destroyed a amazing rant between me AJ and a few others

Nah just kidding
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:50 pm

It's definitely ok with me, having 3 different Australian nerf sites. I WILL continue to contibute to OzNerf as well as making my contributions to AN & FSA.

3websites for 3 different things,

Oznerf - For anyone who wants general info on nerf in Aus

FSA - for definitive guides on everything nerf in AUS, social networking and looking at forwarding the "Sport" of nerf

AN - for new players, the site to show your parents and the site marketed towards Hasbro Australia
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm cool with most of you guys on Oznerf not caring too much about spending too much time on AN, it's more for the really new people who just got into it. They need a platform to start with and then they can come here or go to FSA. The more the merrier. I just wanted nerf to have a beautiful, fancy place to call home.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:50 am

In my opinion yeah 3 different websites is a good idea...

1. for the younger audience. they can show their worth here. Unfortunately, it is a natural way of life that children that are young are usually you could say.... older people automatically assume that they're immature. Which is not always the case. But you know, it's true. When I grew up it was exactly that.

2. for the elder audience (the whole point of getting people who are 18+ is so that national wars are actually possible because people usually have the money (yes money is the big thing) that will make Nerf being push forward). Hey, when I was 12, I didn't even get much allowance ($5 a week), how was I suppose to buy myself so many Nerf Guns. Realistically, it's not possible. Unless you're a spoiled little shit who's parents buy them Nerf guns for no reason and just because you want any one you want. But you wouldn't be able to travel interstate anyway.

3. FSA - From what I heard this is going to be the "Modification Write Up" Site for all modifications from the basic AR removal to the hardcore stuff. I think this is a good idea because it's a frame work every 'new' modder can get into. Like everyone is a 'newbie' at some stage but the manual to modding is a great way to guide new players into better modifications and then better guns.

@Hamish, shit like that makes you look arrogant bro. Thus, people will not like you. Hopefully you were being sarcastic because the way you act the forums... it's hard to tell.
    Reaper
    Reaper

Post  Reaper Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:48 am

I can't find Australia Nerf, and I typed it into Google. I know that this is noobish, but can someone give me a link? Also, what does 'FSA' stand for?
    R@w$o 4
    R@w$o 4

Post  R@w$o 4 Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:58 am

Aj => Iv been thinking about your amazing new site and was going to suggest that rather having it 18+ you could take a few of the 14-15 year old people on here that have had more than say 75-100 posts and have a lot of experience on forums and nerfing and let them in. it would enrich the community and have a lot more contributers to get the site going.

Also as on AN you should have lots of sub-forums for all forums. A good one is with the wars forum there is a sub-forum for each state. I.E. South Australia, QLD, Tasmania. It just cleans the forum up more and makes it a lot easier to organize wars as i know this is, and growing the community is what the new site is going to be mainly about.

Just thoughts, cant wait to hear your reply.

Rawso
    jacko1120
    jacko1120

Post  jacko1120 Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:13 am

R@w$o 4 wrote:Aj => Iv been thinking about your amazing new site and was going to suggest that rather having it 18+ you could take a few of the 14-15 year old people on here that have had more than say 75-100 posts and have a lot of experience on forums and nerfing and let them in. it would enrich the community and have a lot more contributers to get the site going.

Also as on AN you should have lots of sub-forums for all forums. A good one is with the wars forum there is a sub-forum for each state. I.E. South Australia, QLD, Tasmania. It just cleans the forum up more and makes it a lot easier to organize wars as i know this is, and growing the community is what the new site is going to be mainly about.

Just thoughts, cant wait to hear your reply.

Rawso

There is a sub section for each state...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:18 pm