Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+19
donks
Awesomenerfer823645
TheTwist
melbnerf619
chiiia
abowden
TheKhakinator
oxymoron
Akimbo Assassin
Vavoom
mister_elliott
redcricket077
RL
gooni
clunk07
KingCam
Xoenz
Servulus
23 posters

Serv's Spring Sales: Stampede & Vulcan

Servulus
    Servulus
    Donator
    Donator

Serv's Spring Sales: Stampede & Vulcan Empty Serv's Spring Sales: Stampede & Vulcan

Post  Servulus Sat May 07, 2011 5:22 am

eBay: Stampede Spring

These are the same ones I use in my Stampede, running on a 12v, 2.2A sealed lead acid (SLA) battery.

Stampede Spring Specs:
    Load Rating: Approximately 11-12kg (11.77kg)
    Outer Diameter: 23.88mm
    Wire Thickness: 1.98mm
    Length: 110mm
    Number of Coils: 10

Springs are $10ea

Postage is $7.60 Australia Wide, combined postage available.

Serv's Spring Sales: Stampede & Vulcan Stampe10

Vulcan Springs

eBay: Vulcan Spring

Spring Specs:
    Load Rating: 11kg
    Outer Diameter: 18.24mm
    Wire Thickness: 1.8mm
    Length: 77mm

Ranges Obtained
    (These are an average measurement)
    Flat: 50ft (15m)
    Angled: 75ft (23m)

Price is $8 + $2p/h

Serv's Spring Sales: Stampede & Vulcan Vulcan18

Last edited by Servulus on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:11 am; edited 12 times in total
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Serv's Spring Sales: Stampede & Vulcan Empty Re: Serv's Spring Sales: Stampede & Vulcan

Post  Xoenz Sat May 07, 2011 5:53 am

I vouch for these springs, i have one in my stampede and they are amazing.
    KingCam
    KingCam

Serv's Spring Sales: Stampede & Vulcan Empty Re: Serv's Spring Sales: Stampede & Vulcan

Post  KingCam Thu May 12, 2011 11:35 am

Thank's Servulus I got the 2 Stampede spring in the mail today.
    Servulus
    Servulus
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Servulus Wed May 25, 2011 10:34 am

Still have springs for the stampede left if anyone is interested msg me or email me at: lachlan_rex@yahoo.com
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Wed May 25, 2011 11:01 am

Hey mate,

Once I get a chance to trial one in my Stampede, I'll probably be keen for another couple. I'll get back to you over the weekend.

Also, I've posted your clips. Thanks for the prompt payment.

Cheers,
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Wed May 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Serv, I will take one spring please. Pick up next war.

Cheers.

Gooni.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Wed May 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Hey mate I heard you have a spring upgrade for the Vulcan?
    Servulus
    Servulus
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Servulus Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:47 am

I dont have any for the vulcan yet.

BUMP

Stampede Springs, Stampede Springs, get yours today!
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:22 am

Serv what ranges are you getting with your stampede? and with what type of darts.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:02 am

redcricket077 wrote:Serv what ranges are you getting with your stampede? and with what type of darts.

I guess that i could talk for him, as i do have his spring in my stampede.

I am getting 20m+ with this thing @16v
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:03 am

Xoenz wrote:
    redcricket077 wrote:Serv what ranges are you getting with your stampede? and with what type of darts.

I guess that i could talk for him, as i do have his spring in my stampede.

I am getting 20m+ with this thing @16v

Looks like I'll be getting some then.
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:28 am

Can I get an update on the spring dudebro?
    Servulus
    Servulus
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Servulus Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:07 am

mister_elliott wrote:Can I get an update on the spring dudebro?

It is on its way, left here last Friday.
    Servulus
    Servulus
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Servulus Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:45 am

Bump

I now have 80 more Stampede Springs
    Vavoom
    Vavoom

Post  Vavoom Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:49 am

Sent you a pm Serv.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:38 am

Hey Servulus, thanks for the spring again, however I cannot get the Stampede to fire at all. I have another Stampede with SgNerf's 9kg (if I remember correctly) spring, when I fully charged my four unprotected TrustFire 14500 Li-On batteries, they totalled about 16.3V to 16.4V. The Stampede with SgNerf's spring able to fire, but the other with your spring only moves the plunger forward and stops. When I switched the power off, the plunger moves back with the dart in the chamber. I am assuming due to your stronger spring, the batteries have trouble pushing the plunger back against the spring's resistance. Do you or anyone else have similar experience like this?
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:27 am

Akimbo Assassin wrote:Hey Servulus, thanks for the spring again, however I cannot get the Stampede to fire at all. I have another Stampede with SgNerf's 9kg (if I remember correctly) spring, when I fully charged my four unprotected TrustFire 14500 Li-On batteries, they totalled about 16.3V to 16.4V. The Stampede with SgNerf's spring able to fire, but the other with your spring only moves the plunger forward and stops. When I switched the power off, the plunger moves back with the dart in the chamber. I am assuming due to your stronger spring, the batteries have trouble pushing the plunger back against the spring's resistance. Do you or anyone else have similar experience like this?

I'm now really glad i waited for someone else to find out that lipos don't cut it before shelling out for a set. At the same time i'm keen to hear if there's something going for cheaper than a jaycar SLA batt. Even an alkaline solution would keep me happy since i can get bulk cheap 9v's for my music needs.

Oznerf needs an electrical engineer.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:17 am

I'm not an electrical engineer, but here goes...

I've run both SgNerf's and Servulus' 13kg springs in my Stampede's, using 4 x 14500's, and haven't had any issues...

Just to add, Lipo's are different to li-ion's too, and are alot more volatile.

Edit: Just performed some minor tests, and results are as follows:

Servulus' spring has a decreased ROF over the BT 9kg spring, but only by about 1 round every 2 seconds, which is to be expected, and is pretty much negligible. It also picks up about 8 feet extra range fired flat from the shoulder. Don't ask me for exact ranges, as I forgot to write them down... It's been a long morning... haha

Range and ROF is virtually identical between Serv's spring, and SgNerf's 13kg spring, except you don't need to mod Serv's spring to fit in the plunger tube, as is sometimes the case with SgN's.

Tests were conducted at 16.4 volts, double washered stingers, and with the same blaster, to try and limit any variable's.

Cheers,

Last edited by clunk07 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:25 am

Li-pol's are a few 0.0's of a volt lower than Li-ion's, I think.

Maybe the gears are not aligned correctly?.

And I think serv only runs his pedes on the 12v SLA's.

Gooni.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:59 am

It does sound like it's bump-firing - maybe the catch back the front, maybe a bad solder joint...

Just suggestions, as I'm not looking for an argument.

Cheers,
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:57 am

Weird.

I have tested the Stampede with Servulus's spring before I have done any mod (meaning still in stock form with stock spring), it fired fine with six D-cells batteries. Once I modded it (usual AR removal, plunger head padded, and of course Servulus's spring in place), it won't fire with those Li-on batteries. Maybe like you guys have suggested some internal components are misaligned, I'll have to open it up again to check. I'll see...
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:59 am

Have you tried the li-ons with the stock spring?

Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:05 am

redcricket077 wrote:Have you tried the li-ons with the stock spring?

Not yet, like I've said, I'll have to open it up again to try. I don't think the batteries is the problem because it fires fine in my other Stampede with SgNerf's spring.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:07 am

Check the small return spring hasn't folded over mate, and that the plunger rod catch is installed the right way around.

I've encountered both of these issues a couple of times when I first started modding Stampede's. It's a fairly simple oversight, and from what I've read, is fairly common also.

Cheers,
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:07 am

If batteries aren't the problem, I see that as a good result. Just check the catch, you've most likely gotten it the wrong way around. It's caught out a few people in this forum.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:08 am

clunk07 wrote:Check the small return spring hasn't folded over mate, and that the plunger rod catch is installed the right way around.

Thanks for the suggestion Clunk, will definitely check those two when I open it up.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:11 am

No problems mate, there is a fix for the return spring on the Nerf SG forum's, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Hope you get it sorted, as the spring is fairly handy.

I'm hitting approx 68 feet flat from shoulder, and around 84 feet angled from the hip. With a ROF of approx 4 rounds a second, it's good for bulk shits n giggles, if nothing else!!

Cheers,
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:35 pm

OK, just checked my Stampede. Internal components seem to be in right place. Return spring not bent and working well. Tried firing stock spring with the Li-on batteries, and it shot well at about 5 rounds per second. Reinstalled Servulus spring and same problem persists, the plunger sounded like it only moved back partly and stopped
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Akimbo Assassin wrote:OK, just checked my Stampede. Internal components seem to be in right place. Return spring not bent and working well. Tried firing stock spring with the Li-on batteries, and it shot well at about 5 rounds per second. Reinstalled Servulus spring and same problem persists, the plunger sounded like it only moved back partly and stopped

Are you using 4 li ions like clunk?
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:50 pm

It seems that the only issue left is not enough voltage.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:20 pm

I have total of about 16.4V from four of my unprotected TrustFire Li-on 14500 batteries (as I have mentioned earlier), I checked mine with a multimeter. Clunk said he also has 16.4V from his. This is weird...

Post  238232 Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Quality and age can also affect the batteries. Just because the resting voltage is 16.4V doesn't mean that it'll stay the same when you put them under load. Also, as you draw more current the voltage drops, and I'd wager that in your case the battery voltage is dropping more than in Clunk's case.

Even without protection the Li-ions are going to have some kind of maximum discharge, and I think that this may be a case where the 12V 2.2 Ah SLA is much happier providing those kinds of currents than the Li-ions. The lower voltage of the SLA also means that you're putting less amps through to begin with.
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Akimbo Assassin wrote:I have total of about 16.4V from four of my unprotected TrustFire Li-on 14500 batteries (as I have mentioned earlier), I checked mine with a multimeter. Clunk said he also has 16.4V from his. This is weird...

That's the thing with unprotected cells. they "over" charge, and at rest with no load they will read about 4.1-4.2V. as numbers said , once you load the cells, the voltage will drop by a little bit.

I know for a fact that serv only used 12v 2.2Amp SLA with his stampedes (with his springs in them). The only thing I can really think of is that there must be some other issue other than voltage gong on here.

Gooni.

Post  238232 Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:11 pm

I'd say that the SLA is capable of providing a lot more current than the Li-ions, especially since the Li-ions are only rated at 750 mAh, while the SLA is 2.2 Ah.

Generally Li-ions have a maximum safe discharge rate of 2C, or 1.5 A in this case, and while we're exceeding that limit it's probably a good indication of the maximum discharge rate. The SLA on the other hand should be easily capable of sustaining a current way above that.

Since these are cheap DC motors, voltage and current are proportional to each other (V = IR). As the current goes higher the voltage decreases until you satisfy V = IR. When you use Li-ions the limiting factor is the current, with the SLA it's voltage.

If you can, measure current and voltage for the Li-ion under load. If Servulus or someone else with one of his springs and an SLA can measure the current and voltage under load from that combo as well the results may be interesting. I'd expect that the current and voltage from the Li-ions would actually be lower than that of the SLA, mainly due to their inability to supply high currents.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:57 pm

I'd have to agree with the SLA giving better current etc.

I've tested this spring with both ultrafire/trustfire batt's, as well as good quality AW branded 14500's, and each battery combo works well.

I could only suggest that maybe one or two of the batt's aren't discharging properly. Generally, when I charge the batt's, they combine to around 16.7v. The sets I used yesterday had already been used a couple of times, hence the resting 16.4v.

I have both li-ions and SLA, but I haven't charged the SLA yet for testing. I've stuck with the li-ion's due to not having to butcher the battery sled for the SLA to fit, the modularity and ease of the 14500's, plus the decrease in weight.

It all boils down to personal preference.

All I could suggest is another set of batt's, and go from there. The problem with the Ultra/trustfire's is that they're el cheapo's, but that's where price vs quality comes in to play.
    For example, I pay around $2.20 ea for the cheaper batt's, and around $6 ea for the AW's. I only use the AW's in my rigs, but people tend to buy the cheaper batt's from me. Obviously, disposable income plays a huge part.

Hope you get it sorted Akimbo.

Cheers,

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:03 pm