Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+17
Unknown
melbnerf619
mull
Echoes
mister_elliott
jacko1120
Winterstrike
Rictus
littlebro05
random guy
clunk07
Silent Scope
Roger Explosion
Chaos-Blades
Psykka
Kinetic Waffle
inf0rm3r
21 posters

Range effects on different lengths of foam.

mull
    mull

Range effects on different lengths of foam. - Page 2 Empty Re: Range effects on different lengths of foam.

Post  mull Mon May 16, 2011 11:28 am

inf0rm3r wrote:Most of them are unfortunately so tight that they won't spend the extra couple of cents. Sad but true.
    The thing is, even if some of the stuff is cheaper in the US, the fact is that the US minimum wage is US$7.25/hour (which is less than AU$7/hour at today's exchange rate).

We're used to being gouged here.
    Just look at the prices for consumables in Japan and USA.

$3.20 for a bottle of water from a Melbourne vending machine can go and get FIRETRUCKED.

Range effects on different lengths of foam. - Page 2 Empty Re: Range effects on different lengths of foam.

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 11:32 am

Yer Mull it is so expensive i visited melbourne on a vacation and it is expensive.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon May 16, 2011 11:32 am

mull wrote:
    inf0rm3r wrote:Most of them are unfortunately so tight that they won't spend the extra couple of cents. Sad but true.
    The thing is, even if some of the stuff is cheaper in the US, the fact is that the US minimum wage is US$7.25/hour (which is less than AU$7/hour at today's exchange rate).

We're used to being gouged here.
    Just look at the prices for consumables in Japan and USA.

$3.20 for a bottle of water from a Melbourne vending machine can go and get FIRETRUCKED.

Yep, cost of living is atrocious in some places. Where I live, we're in the middle of a mining boom. Rental prices average $700 per week, for a 3 bedroom home, 30 years old. $15 will get you a 600ml Coke and a sandwich from the local Cafe...
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon May 16, 2011 2:06 pm

What the hell!?! That's bullshit. A bottle of Coke costs me $3.20 here. Fifteen bucks for a Coke and sandwich is absolute bullshit.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Mon May 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Here in QLD $1.80 is about average for a coke or $11.50 for a 24 pack.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon May 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Unknown wrote:Here in QLD $1.80 is about average for a coke or $11.50 for a 24 pack.

Ah, I live in Qld too... Maybe you mean Brisbane

Yeh, everyone is jumping on board the mining boom - trying to make a quick buck $$
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Tue May 17, 2011 12:14 am

Haha, yes, I did mean Brisbane.

Sometimes I just don't think strait.
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Tue May 17, 2011 7:23 am

Unknown wrote:Here in QLD $1.80 is about average for a coke or $11.50 for a 24 pack.
    I think that's supermarket prices.
    I thought we're talking about a 600mL cold bottle of drink, from a servo, convenience store or vending machine.

lol, another memory of Japan.
    Decision time: I could get a 500mL can of Coke for about AU$1.40...... OR at the other vending machine, I can get the special TWO cold cans of beer for an extra buck?

Yes, vending machines over there sometimes have specials.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Tue May 17, 2011 11:07 am

mull wrote:
    I think that's supermarket prices.
    I thought we're talking about a 600mL cold bottle of drink, from a servo, convenience store or vending machine.

Those prices were from a fish 'n chip shop at the FG war and my local Chinese takeaway.

The 24 pack from from Kmart.
    melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Tue May 17, 2011 11:45 am

Guys, This is getting way off topic.
    on topic: I'd actually prefer my foam in meters because I have a hopper clip that doesn't accept darts over 1.5" and also would like more rounds in my hopper and RSCB clips without having to reload.
    well thats just me.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue May 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Some may say that 'this makes the foam more cheaper'. However, MOST wars are played on grass. Smaller darts are MUCH harder to find again than long darts.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Tue May 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Yep, RSCB is a good point.

I actually did a little testing yesterday and found that shorter was better. Don't bitch, this is my darts with my blaster. The 1.5" with snap cap and 00 weight, 2x 00weight and cut down tail silicone tip went a good 35' - 45' further than the full length with standard silicone tip. Probably more like 50-60'. This is what I found with my darts with my tips in my street at a certain time of day, for discussion purposes only.

Pretty pathetic that I feel such a need to emphasize all that.

Over all, I just found shorter darts better. 1.5" Works perfectly for me. Full length actually fish tailed a huge amount out of my Titan.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue May 17, 2011 9:39 pm

That's the Mexican factor mate - you're too bloody close to the penguins!!

Why not try using FBR in the RSCB's, as another more experienced member than myself has suggested?
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Sat May 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Yeah Mozart, they will fish tail out from a titan for sure.
    #2 split shot sinkers on a stefan dart blown out of a titan are crazy.

I have full length darts fish tail from the octo. They have to be short, stefan length, with either 6mm bb's or preferably #1 split shot sinkers. I'm getting 120ft with the sinkers, and i'm about to upgrade the spring, so 140ft is on the cards.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sat May 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Hahaa, yeah man. I can't find any 13mm FBR down here.. Found 10mm and 15mm, no 13mm ):

Yeah, they go all over the place, no stability with full length. I've ordered (sort of) some more 10mm snap caps, I'll just stick with those from now on.

side note: I remember someone saying they would never break, ages ago. I beg to differ. Titmav has ruined (without the tip leaving the foam) five or six of the 15 I had left. One, the sinker actually came out, pushed it's way through the snap cap, lol.
    melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Sat May 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Mozart wrote:Hahaa, yeah man. I can't find any 13mm FBR down here.. Found 10mm and 15mm, no 13mm ):

Yeah, they go all over the place, no stability with full length. I've ordered (sort of) some more 10mm snap caps, I'll just stick with those from now on.

side note: I remember someone saying they would never break, ages ago. I beg to differ. Titmav has ruined (without the tip leaving the foam) five or six of the 15 I had left. One, the sinker actually came out, pushed it's way through the snap cap, lol.
    You can get the 13mm FBR at Clark Rubber by the meter. That's where I get mine. Ask for closed cell white foam.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat May 21, 2011 5:40 pm

boosted6 wrote:Yeah Mozart, they will fish tail out from a titan for sure.
    #2 split shot sinkers on a stefan dart blown out of a titan are crazy.

I have full length darts fish tail from the octo. They have to be short, stefan length, with either 6mm bb's or preferably #1 split shot sinkers. I'm getting 120ft with the sinkers, and i'm about to upgrade the spring, so 140ft is on the cards.

I use full-length blue foam with a plugged Titan, hitting over 400 feet angled. No fish-tailing at all. Weight of the dart is the answer, more so than length. Obviously, climate will have an effect as well.

@Mozart - agreed on the snap caps, I've busted a few out of my Titan when they hit different material, mainly coarse brick/render. No issues with steel though, but sometimes the cap comes off, but that's due to the hot glue, and the cap remains in one piece (well, the few that I've found anyway). The post you're referring to was from Littlebro, and he was talking about war-legal blaster's. I'm yet to even damage a snap cap out of a LShot.

You're not limited to using 13mm FBR with your titmav, as it's couplered. Get a small length of 10 and 15mm, and find a barrel material to suit.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sat May 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Yeah man, you're right. LShot wouldn't hurt a snap cap, Titan ruins them, lol. Yeah, same with the close quarters, I was actually shooting a Tek3 to pieces, lol.

Meh, I kind of want to stuck with 13mm. Not that fussed. I'll buy some off someone on here if I need to. Thanks man (:
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat May 21, 2011 5:58 pm

No problems man, If I find some easily purchased, I'll let you know.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat May 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Mozart wrote:Yeah man, you're right. LShot wouldn't hurt a snap cap, Titan ruins them, lol. Yeah, same with the close quarters, I was actually shooting a Tek3 to pieces, lol.

Meh, I kind of want to stuck with 13mm. Not that fussed. I'll buy some off someone on here if I need to. Thanks man (:

Also if you were looking for 13mm FBR. Call up places for waterproofing. Found a place near me that sells 250metres for $45 (bulk only). Blue foam is much better though. I'm using 13mm FBR for BYO wars since I'm a cheapskate.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sun May 22, 2011 6:03 am

Ohh, sweet, thanks guys! Why is blue foam better, LB? What's better about it? Only thing I would be worried about is the barrel fit.
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Sun May 22, 2011 6:59 am

The "dimple effect".
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sun May 22, 2011 7:59 am

I don't know what that means..

Post  238232 Sun May 22, 2011 8:02 am

If I'm reading SS right, look up why golf balls have dimples on them.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Sun May 22, 2011 8:05 am

The foam has tiny dimples in it like those on a golf ball.

Engineers and scientists in the golf industry study the impact between a golf club and a golf ball to determine the ball's so-called launch conditions. The impact typically lasts only 1/2000 of a second, but it establishes the ball's velocity, launch angle and spin rate. After this brief impact the ball's trajectory is controlled entirely by gravity and aerodynamics--no matter how much the golfer hopes or curses. As a result, aerodynamic optimization--achieved through dimple pattern design--is a critical part of overall golf ball development.

A smooth golf ball hit by a professional golfer would travel only about half as far as a golf ball with dimples does. Most golf balls have between 300 and 500 dimples, which have an average depth of about 0.010 inch. The lift and drag forces on a golf ball are very sensitive to dimple depth: a depth change of 0.001 inch can produce a radical change to the ball's trajectory and the overall distance it can fly. Dimples have traditionally been spherical in shape, but it is possible to optimize the aerodynamic performance of other shapes. The HX golf ball by Callaway, for example, uses hexagons (see image).

Air exerts a force on any object moving through it. Holding your arm out of the window of a moving car easily illustrates this phenomenon. Aerodynamicists break down the force into two components: lift and drag. Drag acts to directly oppose motion, whereas lift acts in a direction perpendicular to motion (it is usually directed upward in the case of a golf ball). As you rotate your hand in the air stream, you vary the amount and direction of the lift and drag forces acting on your hand.

A moving object has a high-pressure area on its front side. Air flows smoothly over the contours of the front side and eventually separates from the object toward the back side. A moving object also leaves behind a turbulent wake region where the air flow is fluctuating or agitated, resulting in lower pressure behind it. The size of the wake affects the amount of drag on the object. Dimples on a golf ball create a thin turbulent boundary layer of air that clings to the ball's surface. This allows the smoothly flowing air to follow the ball's surface a little farther around the back side of the ball, thereby decreasing the size of the wake. A dimpled ball thus has about half the drag of a smooth ball.

Dimples also affect lift. A smooth ball with backspin creates lift by warping the airflow such that the ball acts like an airplane's wing. The spinning action makes the air pressure on the bottom of the ball higher than the air pressure on the top; this imbalance creates an upward force on the ball. Ball spin contributes about one half of a golf ball's lift. The other half is provided by the dimples, which allow for optimization of the lift force.
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Sun May 22, 2011 8:33 am

Some of that vaguely brings back what I studied in my previous course, especially the boundary layer concept.

Also:
    A smooth ball with backspin creates lift by warping the airflow such that the ball acts like an airplane's wing. The spinning action makes the air pressure on the bottom of the ball higher than the air pressure on the top; this imbalance creates an upward force on the ball. Ball spin contributes about one half of a golf ball's lift.
    It matters not whether the ball is spun with overspin or backspin, it will still generate lift according to the Magnus Effect.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun May 22, 2011 11:56 am

Silent Scope wrote:It matters not whether the ball is spun with overspin or backspin, it will still generate lift according to the Magnus Effect.

And this is evident in when a golfer uses a Driver. You generally only use backspin when chipping on to the green. With a drive, you're usually chasing distance, so backspin isn't desirable. Watch a few golfers teeing off, if they're any good, you'll see the ball start out low, and then rise. A bit like the arc of a frisbee.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:56 am