Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+13
oznerfnerd
Bacara
abowden
mull
clunk07
KingCam
-mirsho
oxymoron
Joey
makeitgo
littlebro05
RL
EMEUTIER
17 posters

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light!

EMEUTIER
    EMEUTIER

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! Empty Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light!

Post  EMEUTIER Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:09 pm

So I have finally completed my first real Nerf blaster mod! (apart from a simple AR removal on a reflex)

After scouring many forums for ideas I decided to try my hand at a Longshot Internal-Pump-Action-Integration with flashlight mod.
    This is the completed blaster, take note that this was mainly done as an aesthetic mod and the only real performance thing I did was to remove the AR.

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_01

After lots of measuring, cutting and measuring again I finally come up with this as my device to transfer the bolt action movement to the pump position under the barrel where the front gun integration will go. I call it the ‘E-Bracket’ (E for Emeutier of course!)

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_02

The measurements are as follows; note though that depending on your mounting position of the front gun certain measurements will need to be adjusted unless it is pretty much the same as mine.

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIBlueprint_01-1

You will see that I used two screws to attach the arms, this is to prevent unnecessary torsion when the bolt is primed. I also used some aluminium pipe as sturdy spacers between the arms and the center bracket.
    Instead of just relying on the metal bar to move the mechanism I also used a piece of alum tube to fit snuggly inside the center bracket and over the pump handle screw joiner thingy, I did this to increase rigidity. I did need to slightly drill out the center of the pipe to make it fit better.
    Here is a better view when connected to the pump handle.
    NOTE: The 'O'Rings are just used to keep the center bracket centered on the alum tubing.

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_03

Other than the bracket, the other modifications I did were basically the same as interflop’s mod http://www.oznerf.com/t3401-longshot-integration-with-internal-shotgun-picture-heavy with a couple of changes.
    These changes were basically to allow the dart-tooth to be kept to allow for stock streamlines to be used.
    In these pics you can see how by cutting a section off the right arm allowed the mechanism to work without needing to remove the dart tooth screw mount.
    Also by using 1mm thick flat bar the arms could slide around the body without needing to remove too much plastic.

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_04
    Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_05
    Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_06

<EDIT> I forgot to add a pic of the compete shell with bracket (thanks for the reminder makeitgo!)

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_WIDE

In addition to the IPAI mod (Internal-Pump-Action-Integration) I also decided to fit a flashlight in the area where the front gun barrel went.
    I found a small torch a BigW which had almost the perfect size. I wanted to fit the lens and led inside a cut-off section of the front gun barrel to make it appear nerf-stock .

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_07

I also had some requirements that took some time to figure out, I wanted the on/off button to be positioned near where either hand is holding the gun and I also wanted to be able to replace the battery easily but I didn’t want to use a button cell.
    Due to the front part of the gun housing the newly made ‘E-Bracket’ there was barely any room to fit a battery or on/off button.
    So I decided to fit both the button and the battery in the main gun handle (where the trigger is located).
    Then I needed to thread the wiring around all the moving parts TO the handle, to my surprise the left side of the blaster shell actually has quite a bit of room compared to the right side which everything is connected to.

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_08
    Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_09
    Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_10

I had to cut out a bit of plastic in the handle to allow the AAA battery and holder to fit. I also needed to trim a little bit off the trigger mech as it was hitting the on/off button I installed.
    I drilled a hole in the bottom of the handle and fit a shortened pipe end cap to plug the hole and connected the end cap to the battery holder with an old mobile phone decoration thing so I could pull out the battery holder easier.
    A few other basic mods that I did was the four-position stock by drilling a couple of extra holes in the body (I can’t remember who/where I saw this done) and I drilled some decoration/viewing holes in the jam door.

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_11

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_12

I made a drill guide template with photoshop and printed it out on sticker paper to get the hole nice and even. Here is a pdf of the file if anyone else wants to try it.

Hole Guide - LS Jam-Door

And here is a final pic of the completed blaster with the torch on.

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-IPAIMod_13

All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!

Last edited by EMEUTIER on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:34 am; edited 3 times in total
    RL
    RL

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! Empty Re: Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light!

Post  RL Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:12 pm

Pretty good man, great job. I think the sign of a great mod is if you want to have that gun yourself, LOL and I reckon I'd want one like that
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! Empty Re: Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light!

Post  littlebro05 Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Added to the modification directory.

I would like to say holy crap! Great modding XD. Looks very nice and clean :D. All it needs its a brass breech and omfg. Haha.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:26 pm

The mod itself is great. I'm sure many of us have contemplated an internal shotgun mod but you are the first to have actually done it. Bravo!

The schematics for the actual bolt sled is great but can you please take a picture and post a 'wide' of the whole set up. The close up details are great but a nice 'wide shot' would help out a lot.

Thanks.
    Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Wow, what a nice clean mod.
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

Post  oxymoron Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:18 pm

Epic write-up!
    -mirsho
    -mirsho

Post  -mirsho Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:20 am

Amazing work with this, I will have to try this out with my LS. Do you think your design can hold a lot of spring power ? Any limitations or anything like that ?

I feel so dirty, because your modding is so clean.
    KingCam
    KingCam

Post  KingCam Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 am

@EMEUTIER

Really nice work with making the Longshot IPAI.

How long did it take you to make all the parts and to put it all in the Longshot shell?

Thank's from Cameron.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:17 am

I too would be interested to see if it would handle my normal spring load-out. I am doubtful though.

But, nice clean mod mate.

Cheers,
    EMEUTIER
    EMEUTIER

Post  EMEUTIER Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:59 am

makeitgo wrote:The schematics for the actual bolt sled is great but can you please take a picture and post a 'wide' of the whole set up. The close up details are great but a nice 'wide shot' would help out a lot.
    I knew I forgot something! I'm glad you reminded me, I updated the post with a wide shot as requested.

KingCam wrote:@EMEUTIER
    How long did it take you to make all the parts and to put it all in the Longshot shell?
    Thank's from Cameron.

The whole job took me about 3 weeks, but because it was my first real mod I was purposely taking my time and thinking out every step. I suppose if you had all the materials and tools avaliable you could throw it together in a day or so (depending on the glue with the frontgun curing).

@clunk07 and mirsho

Even though I only used 1mm thick alum for the arms the way that the force is directed to the bolt sled via the bracket makes me believe that the 'E-Bracket' itself would 'almost definitely' be able to handle a stronger spring (remember I haven't used any stronger springs yet) but saying that I feel that the week point is the plastic frontgun pump handle as this part would be feeling all the pressure when priming.
    If you do decide to try my bracket with a stronger spring, please don't hesitate to tell me how it goes!
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:43 am

clunk07 wrote:I too would be interested to see if it would handle my normal spring load-out. I am doubtful though.
    What?
    That triple spring set up?

EMEUTIER wrote:Even though I only used 1mm thick alum for the arms the way that the force is directed to the bolt sled via the bracket makes me believe that the 'E-Bracket' itself would 'almost definitely' be able to handle a stronger spring (remember I haven't used any stronger springs yet) but saying that I feel that the week point is the plastic frontgun pump handle as this part would be feeling all the pressure when priming.
    I'm not concerned about the 'E-Bracket' at all, however, I'm still a tad worried that the 1mm flat aluminium strip would buckle under 10+kg spring loads.

Actually, I do wonder if a U or hollow square cross-sectioned length of aluminium would fit (only for brass breeches as it won't work with the tooth dart, and dremel out one end, to fit onto bolt.

Time to open up my Longshot now and check if possible, then I may experiment with this in a few days, if it looks feasible...
    abowden
    abowden

Post  abowden Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:45 am

Wow, its so-clean, and...
    generally awesome I would love one of these, even if it still had the ar's (I know yours doesn't btw)
    Bacara
    Bacara

Post  Bacara Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:22 am

makeitgo wrote:The mod itself is great. I'm sure many of us have contemplated an internal shotgun mod but you are the first to have actually done it. Bravo!

The schematics for the actual bolt sled is great but can you please take a picture and post a 'wide' of the whole set up. The close up details are great but a nice 'wide shot' would help out a lot.

Thanks.

Not actually the first, Watkins on NH did one here, Interflop on here did onehere. I actually have a kineticwaffle style one in my LS.
    Anyway, good job on it! Definitely easier to make seeing as you've given us the plans and everything!
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:42 am

clunk07 wrote:I too would be interested to see if it would handle my normal spring load-out. I am doubtful though.

But, nice clean mod mate.

Cheers,

It would would need to be made of railroad tracks

But seriously, this is one of the better examples of an internal pump I have seen.

Good job.
    EMEUTIER
    EMEUTIER

Post  EMEUTIER Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:20 am

mull wrote:
    Actually, I do wonder if a U or hollow square cross-sectioned length of aluminium would fit (only for brass breeches as it won't work with the tooth dart, and dremel out one end, to fit onto bolt.

Hmmm... ok I see what you mean.
    The first prototype I made I tried using 3mm thick arms, but they did not allow for the dart tooth to be kept.

I suppose if you are using a brass-breached longshot with triple spring then you would not need the dart tooth and be able to use the thicker flat bar which 'should' have enough strength (an uneducated guess).
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:28 am

Really nice work, it's so clean too
    EMEUTIER
    EMEUTIER

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! Empty Barrel extension

Post  EMEUTIER Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:47 am

Due to this being my first real mod I ended up ruining my original LSFG and had to get another one (thanks colipos2!).

When looking at the bits left over I noticed that the barrel extension for the LS (not the FG)is almost symmetrical. With almost zero modifying needed (after cutting off the FG anyway) I relatively easy joined the two shells together and once screwed in place they held together pretty good!

Because that description is pretty bad and the fact of 'pic's or it didn't happen' here is a pic of it finished.

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-BEMod_01

Unfortunately though I will not fit on my modified Longshot due to the flashlight part sticking out. oh well, its not like i would have used the extended barrel anyway! lol!

Longshot IPAI (Internal-Pump-Action-Intergration) with light! LS-BEMod_02

Oh and BTW as the first pic shows I have a few spare parts for the front gun mechanism if anyone needs anything!
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:02 am

Ha ha, no not the triple spring setup, just the usual...

I think your bracket would be fine, it's more the grip, like you mentioned.

Rail road track... I know where to get some of that!!

Cheers,
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:23 am

clunk07 wrote:Ha ha, no not the triple spring setup, just the usual...

I think your bracket would be fine, it's more the grip, like you mentioned.

Rail road track... I know where to get some of that!!

Cheers,

Just a thought...

Best you rip it up from behind you, not in front!
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:54 am

Your LSFG broke with this mod? Darn, it's ok though I have quite a few of em. This mod still looks so clean
    EMEUTIER
    EMEUTIER

Post  EMEUTIER Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:36 pm

redcricket077 wrote:Your LSFG broke with this mod? Darn, it's ok though I have quite a few of em. This mod still looks so clean

This mod did not break my frontgun
    It was my first time chopping up a blaster and I kinda made a few cuts in the wrong place, so i needed a replacement.
    raven_1985

Post  raven_1985 Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:08 am

actually.... I claim first to do this mod.I do like the extent of your writeup mate.
    mines till working fine after a coupla hundred firings (and letting drunk people use it), so linking the cocking mechanism to the front of the boltsled does wonders for its longevity
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:21 am

Welcome back. Haven't you seen you on for a while. Yeah I remember that thread. I guess I'll throw that as another way you can do the IPAI Longshot.

I do admit though, this guide is more clearer to go through though. Nonetheless, I think your one looks a little more simpler =).
    bulletproofvest
    bulletproofvest

Post  bulletproofvest Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Very nice! you should sell those brackets
    EMEUTIER
    EMEUTIER

Post  EMEUTIER Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:22 pm

raven_1985 wrote:actually.... I claim first to do this mod.I do like the extent of your writeup mate.
    mines till working fine after a coupla hundred firings (and letting drunk people use it), so linking the cocking mechanism to the front of the boltsled does wonders for its longevity
    I never claimed to be the first to do this mod or think of it for that matter. I even quoted other mods that I gained inspiration from.
    I have found that in my experience there is NEVER an original idea or concept, just that they may not have been documented.
    I only say this to show that I am not trying to take credit etc.

I all my searches I did not come across your mod I'm sorry, it actually looks more heavier duty than mine, nice!

bulletproofvest wrote:Very nice! you should sell those brackets
    To be honest this though did cross my mind.
    The big problem though is due to everyone's different preferred method of integrating the FG shell can cause a wide variety in certain dimensions between one mod and another.
    For this reason I only showed some measurements and a basic diagram to allow for minor changes per mod.
    dante743

Post  dante743 Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:06 am

Hey mate, looks like a great mod! Where did you get the metal fabricated?!
    EMEUTIER
    EMEUTIER

Post  EMEUTIER Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:32 am

dante743 wrote:Hey mate, looks like a great mod! Where did you get the metal fabricated?!

Hi!
    The metal is just Aluminum that I bought from Bunnings, the dimensions and specific types I have written on the 'plans' image in the original post.
    Then I used a hacksaw, drill, angle grinder, metal files and even a pipe cutter to make them myself.
    I actually ended up making 3 or 4 mistakes before the final product, so I used quite a bit of aluminum in the end.

If you are interested in making this mod yourself remember that some of the sizes/dimensions of the cuts depend on how you have personally cut your front-gun and in what position EXACTLY you plan to attach it to your longshot.
    Be prepared to make a few mistakes but feel free to ask questions/advice any time!

good luck!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:53 pm