Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

4 posters

New Type of Dart! (As Far as I Know.)

Coolio226
    Coolio226

New Type of Dart! (As Far as I Know.) Empty New Type of Dart! (As Far as I Know.)

Post  Coolio226 Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 am

Well, as far as I know this has never been done before, and I'm wondering what the Australian nerf community thinks about it.
    New Type of Dart! (As Far as I Know.) Specia11
    The actual dart.
    New Type of Dart! (As Far as I Know.) Specia14
    Size comparison with a few stock darts I had lying around.
    Basically it's 1&7/8" of blue foam tube with a 3/16" washer hot glued to it with a thin pad of blue foam hot glued to the washer. It works very well in weaker blasters such as mavericks and vulcans. It travels about a metre further than a normal fishing weight and hot glue dome stefan and is safer.

Comments, flames and ideas are welcome.
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

New Type of Dart! (As Far as I Know.) Empty Re: New Type of Dart! (As Far as I Know.)

Post  TheBradl3s Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:48 am

Its a Slug Dart. Not new. Except instead of a felt pad, you have just used some of the foam.

Here's a Pic: (Note, this is CaptainSlug's Picture from Nerfhaven)
    New Type of Dart! (As Far as I Know.) Ds6d

- Brad
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

New Type of Dart! (As Far as I Know.) Empty Re: New Type of Dart! (As Far as I Know.)

Post  littlebro05 Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:07 am

I would not recommend having any exposed metal washer as the weight of the tip. I make my darts safe by putting my washers within the snap cap itself so if the snap cap breaks off, so does the metal. Where as if your foam were to pop off, the metal washer is exposed and some idiot will use it anyway and cause injury.

Those 'felt pad' you've added is not new at all. It's just a different padded tip. Your increased 'safety' dart works, however the whole in the blue tube at the end doesnt' fully cover the hot glue plastic, so it will probably still hurt. You'll want cut up 10mm FBR.

Post  Guest Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:04 am

Actually, I kinda like the idea of using a foam ring, as I've been seeing a lot of snap-cap darts with either jagged edges or exposed weights. Seems often a part of the snap cap breaks off while part remains, makes a sharp edge. Particularly noticable when people miss and hit a hard target, using pretty much anything stronger than a maverick. I made a few and trialled them in a nitefinder (modded) and the tips just tended to shatter or crack on the first hard hit. Snap-cap plastic seems too brittle for my tastes. Simply, I'd recommend you go with Slug Darts using felt tips and washers, making sure of course that the washer edges are actually covered by the felt. A wadcutter tip generally has superior aerodynamic properties at the velocities we shoot at. Costs a few cents more per dart, but darts last greatly longer, making them far more cost effective in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EBtyXCsnKo
    Link to Captain Slug Youtube Guide
    jacko1120
    jacko1120

Post  jacko1120 Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:24 am

Rictus wrote:Actually, I kinda like the idea of using a foam ring, as I've been seeing a lot of snap-cap darts with either jagged edges or exposed weights. Seems often a part of the snap cap breaks off while part remains, makes a sharp edge. Particularly noticable when people miss and hit a hard target, using pretty much anything stronger than a maverick. I made a few and trialled them in a nitefinder (modded) and the tips just tended to shatter or crack on the first hard hit. Snap-cap plastic seems too brittle for my tastes. Simply, I'd recommend you go with Slug Darts using felt tips and washers, making sure of course that the washer edges are actually covered by the felt. A wadcutter tip generally has superior aerodynamic properties at the velocities we shoot at. Costs a few cents more per dart, but darts last greatly longer, making them far more cost effective in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EBtyXCsnKo
    Link to Captain Slug Youtube Guide

I shot a snap cap dart out of my singled TS into a concrete wall and there wasn't so much as a scratch. You are either BS'ing or using shit snap caps.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:25 am

Rictus. Snap caps aren't brittle. The only time they will break is if you shoot a big blast at a brick wall from point blank. And the results is a cracked cap. You seem to not have any idea what you're talking about. Snap caps DO NOT expose weights either. Maybe through the methods you've seen, but you've got it all wrong.

They don't even have jagged edges. Lolz. What is the dart going to fly sideways and hit them in the face <,<.

Felt tips are actually fairly solid material, it doesn't actually provide that much padding.

The foam ring is a good idea, except it still exposes the 'hard bit' in the middle.
    Coolio226
    Coolio226

Post  Coolio226 Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:33 am

littlebro05 wrote:You'll want cut up 10mm FBR.
    I would, if I could get my hands on any. Stupid Bunnings in Armidale doesn't stock any type of caulking foam. Plus most FBR sources online are American.
    On another note wouldn't 10mm FBR leave quite a lot of washer still exposed?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:24 am

Not if you use snap caps like I do. It's layered between plastic and hot glue, so if the cap comes off, the washer will come off with it. Leaving no metal tips behind.

Try Home Timber Hardware.

Post  Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:02 am

You might want to think more carefully before you start calling BS. It's seriously bad idea to move to insults before facts.

Firstly, @ jacko1120
    I said the caps OFTEN crack, not ALWAYS crack. Try shooting few dozen before you tell me none of them will crack. You are right however, I may be using snap caps with crappier plastic than yours. As I said, I just made a few for trialling. Of a batch of 6, 3 cracked when fired 4 or less times each at 10 metre range at a concrete wall from a 55-60ft nitefinder. In practical terms, I had a cap break slightly more often than 1 in 8 shots. I'll point out though, that without even scratch on the tip... your gun is probably not that powerful. Consider I tried a flat steel wadcutter at the aforementioned wall and it got both scratched and dented in one shot.

Secondly, @ littlebro05
    You're being ridiculous, and clearly ignoring basic physics and logic into the bargain. If the cap will almost certainly crack when fired by a high powered gun, isn't it obvious it can STILL crack when fired by one less so? It's merely less of a certainty WHEN the break will happen. Your own testing should indicate that easily enough. Unless of course, you choose to ignore facts in favour of bravado. And as for the methods I trialled? They were yours, as listed, on this site. Here, to be exact.
    http://www.oznerf.com/t2268-how-to-make-stefans?highlight=make+stefans

You should also read more carefully if you're going to attempt a rebuttal. An UNBROKEN snap cap does not have sharp edges. Snap caps are obviiously not indestructible. Hot glue has a relatively weak hold. Therefore a snap cap dart that has CRACKED, and lost part of the head DOES have an edge. Q.E.D. A snap cap CAN end up with a sharp edge on the forward face. I recommend a thought out response, rather than just trying to discredit people with silly statements, such as
    "Lolz. What is the dart going to fly sideways and hit them in the face <,<"
    This isn't America, and we're not in politics. Use a sound argument if you want to disagree, don't be foolish.

Regardless, my apologies to the original thread starter, this is clearly far, far off topic. This is the last off topic post I will make in your thread. I suggest the same goes for others. Any disputes of evidence or fact should be carried out elsewhere, perhaps in an Off Topic thread. As far as the original topic goes, good thinking, making use of an easily available material to head the darts. I guess it means even if you run out of tips, so long as you have washers and foam you can still make darts.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:21 am

What, are you shooting at, guys who have like abs of steels that the cap will break? It's hitting flesh. The only time I actually shoot darts in a brick wall intentionally is when I shoot to test the durability. If the cap breaks hitting flesh, you're obviously got too much power behind lolololol. (Another silly statement for you).

I was using that 'silly' statement as sarcasm if you didn't notice haha.

You try 'using my method', but obviously you're probably doing it wrong. If my darts loses the dart head, the foam will rip with the cap. The caps, don't often break at all. That's probably the other only reason I can think of, you're using weaker caps.

What's Q.E.D.? My meager brain does not seem to comprehend your overcompensating latin using to describe idiot. Lololol. Latin is a dead language, speak English please.

You may think my head is raised past the clouds, but you seem to be Mr Ego. :).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 am