Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+19
NachoTaco
clunk07
mull
Echoes
Xoenz
dandaldaks
lefty
-Aj-
boosted6
keychane
littlebro05
CaptainSurprise
Silent Scope
Chaos-Blades
KingCam
Unknown
RL
psyk
makeitgo
23 posters

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up.

Echoes
    Echoes

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. - Page 2 Empty Re: Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up.

Post  Echoes Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:21 am

Xoenz wrote:Can't we get that from bunnings?

I'll race you to Bunnings Villawood.
    KingCam
    KingCam

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. - Page 2 Empty Re: Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up.

Post  KingCam Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:08 am

Echoes wrote:

You can get them at bunnings but you have to order 2 of them at Special Orders for $12 for the 2 springs.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:17 am

KingCam wrote:
    Echoes wrote:

You can get them at bunnings but you have to order 2 of them at Special Orders for $12 for the 2 springs.

Hilarious! When you guys get that spring, you'll see why I have all that structural support. And I know what you're all going to ask. No, I did not cut the spring to make it fit. It's a very creative way to put the blaster back together when that spring WANTS to come out. And it will want to come out. Believe me!

A sincere word of advice, it's not in my write up but I've recently added putty to the priming handle. I also added metal rods in the plastic posts of the priming handle. This spring will literally tear your LSG/AZTS to pieces without proper support. Trust me on this! I've read most people have used 9-pound-load springs in their blasters. This is a 50-pound-load spring.
    I think most of you will have a hard time priming.

It will be interesting to see who will win this race. I've officially given my Octo-shot a mean range of 140'. It hits 160' on occasion but that's rare.

I want to see results and 'proof' once you guys have made yours.

good luck!
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:30 am

makeitgo wrote:...This is a 50-pound-load spring.
    Holey shirt that's strong. That's a 22 kilogram spring. That's like my little cousin hanging from a nerf gun. Now I realise why you have to be so thorough with the support and dampening in this thing.

After seeing this, I'll definitely be making an Octo, but maybe not with the crazy-strong spring, at least, not to start with.
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Chaos-Blades wrote:
    makeitgo wrote:...This is a 50-pound-load spring.
    Holey shirt that's strong. That's a 22 kilogram spring. That's like my little cousin hanging from a nerf gun.
    Hmmm... That's a little less than a bag of cement.
    I think that's a great childproof mechanism to prevent kids from using your modded guns.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:43 am

Did you glue the rotation mechanism at all, like you would with an ordinary QS?

I also noticed a lot or reinforcement around the catch so I'm guessing that was because of the massive spring you used, with a lighter spring load you wouldn't need as much epoxy putty and it'll be more suited for younger users - like me. I am considering using a V2 spring at just over half the load of yours. Epoxy putty is expensive here is Aus so I'm tying to find ways to add reinforcement without extensive amounts of putty.

makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:34 am

Unknown wrote:Did you glue the rotation mechanism at all, like you would with an ordinary QS

Yes, the rotation mech is glued. AJ, here on Oznerf, has used plasticine as a substitute. Epoxy putty sold in regular box stores here (Canada) is usually $7 to $10 a tube but I've been able to find it at my local Dolarma for $2 a tube. So far, no problems.

Done properly, you can get 70-80 feet flat with just the stock spring.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:37 am

Why does the rotation mech need to be glued?

I havent glued mine and it seems fine.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:14 pm

Out of curiosity what is the length of the spring? I'm thinking about making a pump action nerf blaster, but need to find a spring suitable.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:34 pm

boosted6 wrote:Why does the rotation mech need to be glued?

I havent glued mine and it seems fine.

The reason the rotation mech needs to be glued is because of the turret to plunger seal. In order to get the best seal you can, the plunger to turret seal must be tight. If the rotation mech isn't glued the pressure/friction caused by the plunger will cause the turret to skip (not rotate).

It may be fine to not glue the turret mech but because the seal isn't tight to the turret you may be missing out on getting 20 to 40 'MORE' feet of range. Done properly, you should be getting 80 to 90 feet flat with the stock spring. If you're only getting 50 to 60 feet flat then you know that your seal isn't as good as it could be.

boosted6
    boosted6

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. - Page 2 Empty re

Post  boosted6 Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:55 pm

Ah i see, thanks MIG.

Well i'll glue it tomorrow for sure then.
    That and the plunger head mod.

Then it will be finished, but as for now, its alot of fun.

Has been fun re-creating your Octo mate, thanks for sharing.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:47 pm

I haven't copied the Octoshot, and with my lack of funds I won't be anytime soon, but I decided to do the "maintenance" thing makeitgo mentioned.

And wow... I shoot my singled TS quite a bit everyday (I get bored) and I didn't know so many stress points had sprouted? So I just finished a 2 hour epoxy putty/hot glue/padding session. The blaster feels really heavy now, and it's still loud as hell when I shoot (indicating more padding needs to be placed), but thanks for the tips man! You're the Triple Shot Mr. Miyagi haha!
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:58 pm

2120 wrote:The blaster feels really heavy now, and it's still loud as hell when I shoot (indicating more padding needs to be placed), but thanks for the tips man! You're the Triple Shot Mr. Miyagi haha!

Lol!!! Thank you 2120-SAN. Maintenance isn't 'my' thing. It's something I've read on other forums (possibly this one as well). Although, they've offered general maintenance advise for any and all blasters, I think this write-up is the only one that addresses the TS specifically. You'll also notice that all the reinforcement and padding decreases the cheap cracking noise that the TS makes.

I'm glad my advise has helped.

Wax on. Wax off.
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:18 am

makeitgo wrote:Century Spring Corp., Los Angeles, Ca
    Phone: 1-800-237-5225
    www.centuryspring.com

C-874
    1-3/8 x 6 x .120 (inches)
    34.925 x 152.4 x 3.048 (millimeters)
    Century Spring Corp. also has a local branch here in Australia.
    http://www.centurysprings.com.au

So, if you want to find the best spring available but don't want to get a custom spring made for your mod or homemade (can be expensive), you could look at the catalogues before making an enquiry or special order at your hardware store.

I can't seem to find the specs for the C-874 spring in the catalogues (both USA and Australia), as "C-874" seems to be a product ID specifically for stores, rather than the company's stock item ID.
    The closest equivalent is the #389 spring, in which the dimensions match.
    However, the suggested safe max load is 40 lb., but getting it to a solid length would require more force than that.

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. - Page 2 Springs

6 in. (free length) - 1.68 in. (solid length) = 4.32 in. (maximum length change)
    4.32 in. * 13 lb./in. (force needed to move 1 in.) = 56.16 lb. (force needed for total compression)

Obviously, the force required to make a total compression is more than the suggested safe maximum load.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:26 am

I've had fun trying different springs. I'm using the stock spring with another spring the same length which is abit softer, and they work really well.

Will do a range test soon, i'm not going for MIG's ranges, 100ft will be plenty.

Its a shame stefans dont fit the petg i'm using..
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Hey guys, I added an updated video tutorial to the write-up. It's part 1, focusing on the construction of the turret.
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:54 am

Great video mate, the only way it could be more entertaining is if you shot it in 3D,

This is perfect because I'm just about to start my octo.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:02 am

Great video, helped me with the turret for sure.

You should work for TV MIG.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:15 pm

LOL!!! Boosted6!!! You know what?... I do! I'm not in front of the camera but I work in animation and on film sets. I'm only using my iPhone so the quality isn't that great but my film theory is sound. Plus this style of editing (known as jump cutting) makes 'acting' so much easier. Trust me. I screw up so many times. That 4 and a half minute video is actually 4 and a half hours of raw footage. It does take a while to edit. I'm still working on part 2. Hopefully it will be up today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the compliments. They're fun to make. It's especially rewarding to see peoples reactions to the videos as well.

boosted6 wrote:Great video, helped me with the turret for sure.

You should work for TV MIG.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah I tried doing some of my own videos. It's hard to get it right in one take, and nor do I plan on editing for long periods. I love editing, but not if it involves my face lol

And you say turret differently to what we'd say here in Australia. I hear "tourette"

Have you encountered any stress points in the shell around the trigger?
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:03 pm

2120 wrote: And you say turret differently to what we'd say here in Australia. I hear "tourette"

Have you encountered any stress points in the shell around the trigger?

I showed my friend this video and he made the same comment about my pronunciation as well. I guess it's the Canadian in me. Although my friend is Canadian to.. maybe it's just me. Haha!

As far as stress around the trigger, yes I have found stress there. The plastic is REALLY cheap. I'll be addressing that and many, many more stress points in part 2. Check out the pic I have in my write-up. It shows how I dealt with that issue but I've added more support since.

For those of you concerned with structure and support, be prepared to acquire a lot of epoxy putty! My putty tube count is up to 4!! Luckily for me, I can find it at my Dollar store for $2 a tube.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:38 am

Part 2 of my Octo-Shot video tutorial is up! Finally! It was a really exhausting making this tutorial. I hope you like it. And enjoy it. (link to video at top of page)
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:57 am

Just watched the part 2 video, fantastic as always MIG. I can't imagine the amount of time it took you to make that vid.

EDIT: Also, I'm glad you included the part about strengthening the catch peice itself, my first TS had that bit shatter with just a triple shot and longshot spring.
    lefty
    lefty

Post  lefty Mon May 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks MIG, maybe my next Triple shot may last longer thanks to you, however I may need to look twice as hard to find it as you have single handedly sold Brisbane out of them.

Thanks for the inspiration and taking us to the next level.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon May 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Yeah this blaster is a beast. I'm getting just over 90ft with the stock spring and a recon spring. And it shoots very hard.
    Great blaster to mod.

Will try the LS spring next.

120ft will be plenty.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon May 02, 2011 2:43 pm

boosted6 wrote:Yeah this blaster is a beast. I'm getting just over 90ft with the stock spring and a recon spring. And it shoots very hard.
    Great blaster to mod.

120ft will be plenty.

lefty and me are getting one of those "MAN SPRINGS" MIG has gotten soon :D. We shall see what sort of damage we do.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Mon May 02, 2011 3:15 pm

It's amazing how quiet it is in the end of the 2nd video! And though my TS is not octo-shot spec, I'll be using the putty reinforcement advice.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Lanard Shotgun/Airzone Triple shot into "OCTO-Shot" write up. - Page 2 Empty Man Spring

Post  makeitgo Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 am

littlebro05 wrote:
    boosted6 wrote:Yeah this blaster is a beast. I'm getting just over 90ft with the stock spring and a recon spring. And it shoots very hard.
    Great blaster to mod.

120ft will be plenty.

lefty and me are getting one of those "MAN SPRINGS" MIG has gotten soon :D. We shall see what sort of damage we do.
    You and Lefty better have reinforced your TS's or LSG's yo handle the 'Man Spring'. You previously said it was too much work but if you put that spring in a non-reinforced blaster, it will literally rip your blasters apart.

2120 wrote:It's amazing how quiet it is in the end of the 2nd video! And though my TS is not octo-shot spec, I'll be using the putty reinforcement advice.
    The second video took me 3 and a half days to shoot at 6 to 8 hours each day. It was hard to keep my energy up. Editing the video took just as long. I had over 10 hours of raw footage to sift through.

lefty wrote:Thanks MIG, maybe my next Triple shot may last longer thanks to you, however I may need to look twice as hard to find it as you have single handedly sold Brisbane out of them.
    Thanks for the inspiration and taking us to the next level.
    LOL!! I've heard through others that the TS is sold out everywhere in Brisbane. Ironically, I went to go order some more 'Man Springs' but the place I posted here some time ago is "currently out of stock". ... Coincidence? I think not! Haha. I've told all of you all my secrets.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Tue May 03, 2011 9:37 am

Haha, wheres your spotters fee mig?

The MAN spring would be fun, but ROF would be way down. In a war, by the time you primed it for another shot, you would, or might be hit.

I think i might get a spring custom made for this in the near future...

Lets hope airzone make a blaster with a 10-15shot turret that can be thrown on....
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue May 03, 2011 12:20 pm

boosted6 wrote:
    The MAN spring would be fun, but ROF would be way down. In a war, by the time you primed it for another shot, you would, or might be hit.

Or, you could spend a bit of time in the gym - would increase your rate of fire!!
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue May 03, 2011 12:23 pm

I agree - Nut up or Shut Up. Spend some times in the gym and BOOM. ROF increased dramatically!
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Tue May 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Unless your only 13Y/O...

clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue May 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Unknown wrote:Unless your only 13Y/O...

I'd already had a full 12 months in the gym at 13 y.o.

At 31, I still haven't had any issues because of it. But really, technique has alot to do with it as well. Practice/adapt = succeed!!
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Tue May 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Haha you funny buggers!

Trust me, i wouldnt have a problem priming it.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue May 03, 2011 1:47 pm

boosted6 wrote:Haha you funny buggers!

Trust me, i wouldnt have a problem priming it.

Yeh, didn't think so. Just taking the piss really!! lol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:49 pm