Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+4
melbnerf619
Mozart
Dietzie
clunk07
8 posters

RSCB tweak

clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

RSCB tweak Empty RSCB tweak

Post  clunk07 Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Hey guys,

This probably isn't the best place for this, but I feel it deserves a bit more attention that the questions thread.

Having never built a RSCB - yet - I've been doing quite a lot of research on the subject. The biggest issue I've identified thus far, is the increase in dead-space after each dart has been launched.

I've seen alot of ideas used for the non-barrel end, including dart doors, pvc caps, ball-valves etc. I'm curious though, as to why no one has used a ball-valve as displayed in my very professional paint drawing:

RSCB tweak Redcri10

(Thanks for the image RedCricket - hope you don't mind mate, but this is exactly what I've been looking for. Nice work btw!)

Yes, it would require another second or so for reloading, but it would have to eliminate quite alot of deadspace.

I've been hoping to test one out, but have just been too busy to get started on it.

Does anybody have any comments as to why it wouldn't work?

Feedback is appreciated guys n girls.

Cheers,
    Dietzie
    Dietzie

RSCB tweak Empty Re: RSCB tweak

Post  Dietzie Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:19 pm

I think the risk of cutting darts when closing the door would be the biggest (only) issue. Good little bit of outside the box thinking there Clunk. Maybe a soft dart flap would work better?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:27 pm

I was also considering a drop-in plastic door - kind of like a knife-valve set-up, but just hand-operated. Wouldn't be as effective.

I can see what you mean though, it would be difficult to prevent more than one dart going through at a time.

Maybe this is a fail before it's even got clearance for take-off!! haha

Cheers,
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:31 pm

Having built a couple, you really don't need it. You trade off maximum power for a lot better RoF. You basically want a clip that is very slightly bigger than the dart, just enough for it to slide freely. Unfortunately, on RCs RSCB, it has a fair bit of dead space in the connections, but you can't really do it any other way without cutting into the shell. You just don't need that extra cut off, with the added ball valve, man.

Cody
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:44 pm

I know what you're saying Cody, but on every write-up of a RSCB that I've read, there's always the issue of the last few dart's ranges being significantly lower.

I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to eliminate that. I only used Red's example, because it had the pic of the ball-valve that I was talking about. It definitely wasn't a shot at the amount of deadspace in his particular unit.

ROF wouldn't really be decreased by that much if I could find a way to implement some sort of door/valve. If ROF was that big of an issue, everybody would be doing pump replacements like on my Titan. eg: compare roughly 17 pumps with a plugged titan pump, as opposed to 4 max with the pump I've used.

I appreciate your input though. I just figured that this may spark a few ideas from people with RSCB knowledge/experience. If you look at the research done to improve and fine-tune octo's and LShot's, maybe the RSCB could benefit from something like this.

Cheers,
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:51 pm

Yeah man. Well, I really don't experience that much power drop, because really, to accurately hit someone, you're not going to pop a shot off at your blaster's maximum range, you'll do it at maybe half or two thirds. It really doesn't need it.

But! I see that my point has no benefit here, because it's not the damn point of the thread! Lol.

I shall look into your thoughts, man. It'll be quite tricky.. Could be possible. Already having ideas.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:53 pm

With eliminated dead-space, you could possibly use less pumps to still hit quite effective ranges too.

Good to see you've got the brain ticking over!! haha

Cheers,
    melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:43 pm

I know this may be a tad of topic but you could use a homemade Hopper/Chopper because it has much less deadspace even if the loading side is huge. This is because from blaster -> barrel is a direct path and no time wasted pointing the gun down meaning higher ROF and higher range.
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:11 am

I remember seeing someone once on nerfhaven that put a spring, dowel and O-Ring behind the darts in the RSCB. Worse than needing to remove the dowel when loading is the obvious risk of getting a speargun facial.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:03 am

I don't know but I dont' seem to lose any range nor velocity when I fire off my RSCB'd TS at all.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:49 am

LB - as I said, I've not made an RSCB yet, just working off the research that I've done/seen. It does make sense for range to decrease though, as deadspace is increased.

Maybe there's something in the way you make yours that avoids this issue to some degree.

Cheers,
    lefty
    lefty

Post  lefty Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:29 am

I've got a number of different blasters RSCBed inc BBUMB, LAHB and a TS. With the air blasters all mine are pump replaced which means there effectively plugged and can VERY powerful as you can pump 6 times or 26 and the difference is extreme. Even the TS has no real noticeable difference, in a war you continue to load at every opportunity and if your blaster shots strong to start with a meter or two makes no difference.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:59 am

clunk07 wrote:LB - as I said, I've not made an RSCB yet, just working off the research that I've done/seen. It does make sense for range to decrease though, as deadspace is increased.

Maybe there's something in the way you make yours that avoids this issue to some degree.

Cheers,

It does make sense, and the RSCB is still the same. All darts can go through cardboard as I go through them.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:13 am

I think Clunk gets that there's no real need, as my RSCB doesn't lose any noticeable power either, but still wants to roll with this idea.

P.s, I haven't found any way of making it. Thought about a thin rubber flap, but it'll just cause too many problems with darts loading.
    Nerf Doctor
    Nerf Doctor

Post  Nerf Doctor Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:05 am

It is possible to put a ball valve there and have it work. All you need is one with a big enough hole in the ball to allow good dart passage. What should be done though, to maximize range and rate of fire, leave the valve open until the last few of your darts. Tip it forward like normal, thentip it back about 45 degrees, then close the valve. Now on your last few shot, the range should be much better, and you don't lose as much speed as you would using the valve every time.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:29 pm