Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks

iamthatcat

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Empty SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks

Post  iamthatcat Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:52 am

SSPB's need too many pumps to be really effective as a sidearm. Here's my go at a pump replacement. The factory pump is simply chopped off leaving an inlet for the new pump. I used a water gun pump from a Buzz-Bee Equalizer. It's about 1" in outer diameter and 6" long. A thinner pump would likely add pressure and perform better. A 45 degree PVC elbow is used to support the pump and act as a grip. I show 2 sizes of tank expansion. I think the smaller will be sufficient for most. I am trying a wye out on the larger with good results.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2218jj

Here are most of the required parts. You will need some tubing to nest around the pumps outlet. I used the outlet pipe from a UMB pump. You may want some 1/2" thinwall PVC to move the grip forward.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2183yi

First let's chop up the SSPB. We'll use various methods to keep debris out of the guts. A bit of foam works well for the pump inlet. I used grease for the valve this time. A little electrical tape keeps dust out of the trigger. Twist the barrel peg out with needle nose pliers. Stuff a piece of crumpled up, wet paper towel tightly down the barrel to protect the valve from debris on this rough cut. Pull the pump handle all the way out. Chop your SSPB here.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2184ybh

Clean all the debris away and add some white lithium grease to the valve area. Try to get it behind the cross or remove the cross with a razor knife. This will keep debris out. I also removed a support boss at this point. It will get in the way of the grip later.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2186n

Chop a little more to get past the cross without hurting the valve. Scoop out the debris and grease with any small tool. I also used a q-tip to clean the valve out thoroughly. If done carefully there should be no need to flush the tank.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2190s

Chop a coupler in half, just behind the ridge.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2189ho

I chamfered the area around the valve a little just for experimentation's sake. Glue on the coupler. While it's drying we can build and fit the tank.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2191gm

Now onto the tank expansion. I used a PVC stub for the larger tank. I'm not sure if there is a real performance difference. It's a bit trickier to shape than a CPVC stub. Both tanks use a 1/2" PVC elbow. The larger tank uses a PVC endcap instead of a nested CPVC one. Nest a small length of PVC inbetween the elbow and the endcap for the larger.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2212qz

Dremel the area under the PVC stub until it's paper thin.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2195m

Carefully slice out the center. Sorry about the recycled pic.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img1145vh

Afterwards I melted the edges a bit with a wood burning tool. This is optional. It's easy to see that support boss that needs to be removed in this pic.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2196u

Test fit the tank. I kept everything close to the SSPB so I could glue it in a few places for strength. Solvent weld the tank together and let it dry. I affixed the tank to the SSPB with super glue but epoxy or solvent welding is a good choice too.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2192ca

Ok let's move on to the pump. I used a fairly slim pump but a slimmer one would raise the pressure in the tank a bit more. This pump needed the 90 degree bend chopped off to fit of course. This is still to small to nest into the SSPB's pump tube so we'll need a small section of tubing to make up the difference. The outlet tube from an old UMB pump is perfect.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2198mx

Here it is chopped up and test fitted. I used the tape as a guide to line up the pump with a mold seam on the bottom of the SSPB. Solvent weld everything in. I added a filet of superglue to the join later for extra strength. Now we can fit the pump support/grip handle.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2200h

Here it is glued up. Add some glue to the elbow (or thinwall spacer) and pump face when assembling, to support the back of the pump well.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2224f

Chop 2 slots down the elbow. The length of the slots can be manipulated to change the grip dimensions. I needed to dremel away some material from inside the elbow on the shorter grip. I also needed to add a (notched) 1/2" thinwall spacer to the longer grip. Later we can add a length of PVC and a 1/2" endcap to the grip. I used thinwall for weight. Glue the elbow both to the pump and to the SSPB for strength.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2201c
    SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2215dh
    SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2202x

Now let's make the pump work. I used a piece of 1/2" PVC (conduit) with a piece of CPVC whomped into it. Shave a portion of the PVC to fit inside your pump. The CPVC is whomped in and reamed out until the pump tube slides through it freely. I affixed this with electrical tape for easy maintenance. I added an additional piece of CPVC to the end of the pump to affix my elbow and pump handle.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2209waq
    SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2211dr

Shot de Money.

SSPB Pump Replacement and Large Tanks Img2222v

The smaller expansion takes 3 pumps for 100' ranges. The larger works a homemade wye at the same ranges but takes 5-6 pumps.

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:05 am