Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

4 posters

CWC - Firestrike Modification

clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

CWC - Firestrike Modification Empty CWC - Firestrike Modification

Post  clunk07 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:34 am

Hi guys,

Had a Firestrike arrive from Amazon the other week. It's a nice pistol, obviously very similar to the NF, except for the handle being signifcantly smaller. Apart from this, I'm rather impressed with it. A little more difficult to mod as compared to a NF, but I believe it has more potential.

Mod's covered -

* AR removal
    * Spring upgrade
    * Catch spring upgrade
    * Barrel replacement

Tools:

•Basic tool kit

•Rotary tool

Materials:

•Black Tactical DTG spring or similar

•Silicone Grease

•Replacement springs

•Teflon tape

•Section of 17/32" brass tubing

As always, start by opening up your blaster. This is what you should see:

CWC - Firestrike Modification Dsc_3010

Remove the plunger assembly, barrel tip and slide the laser pointer out of the way.
    Next remove the plunger rod, and this is what you have...

CWC - Firestrike Modification Dsc_3011

The plunger head - note the piece of rubber that acts as a buffer pad... nice work Hasbro!!

CWC - Firestrike Modification Dsc_3012

Seeing as I only have 1 of these, I didn't want to mess around too much by trying to remove the plunger head from the rod. Solution - just wind your upgrade spring directly on to the rod. Not the easiest task, but less mucking around than cutting and re-gluing the head. Here I've used a Black Tactical DTG spring, which nests quite well inside the stock spring. The catch spring is quite weak, so I just replaced it with a beefier spring from my grab kit.

CWC - Firestrike Modification Dsc_3013

You'll want to remove the head of the plunger tube, which is extremely simple to do. Once it's off, the AR should fall out, leaving you with these pieces.

CWC - Firestrike Modification Dsc_3014

Cut the dart peg off, and cut the centre out of the large round piece, by slicing through the tri-wing connector pieces. Put this piece back underneath the dart post holder (image on far left). All the other pieces on the right can be trashed.

CWC - Firestrike Modification Dsc_3015

Cut a piece of your brass around 7cm long. Ream the stock barrel out using a drill bit (13mm) until the brass is a snug fit. If done properly, you won't need to glue it in either.

CWC - Firestrike Modification Dsc_3016

All that's left to do is put a little bit of teflon tape under the o-ring, and re-lube (the plunger tube appears to be tapered, and contact is only made by the PH for the last 3 cm's approx.

Re-assemble the blaster, and you should be good to go. The plunger rod did scuff up a little when I wound the spring on, so once it was assembled, I primed the blaster, and gave the rod a light buff with some fine grit sandpaper to ensure it slides smoothly through the catch plate.

Using heavy stinger darts (1.16 grams) I managed to get flat ranges between 85 and 90 feet.

When I find a little more time, I'll put up exact ranges, and test the Elite darts as well.

Cheers,
    Eclipse
    Eclipse

CWC - Firestrike Modification Empty Re: CWC - Firestrike Modification

Post  Eclipse Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:02 am

That's actually really good then. I didn't know about the spring trick (winding it one). Definitely a good mod to do. If I minimise one and do this to it, it would be probably the best single shot sidearm out. Good job mate
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 am

Eclipse wrote:That's actually really good then. I didn't know about the spring trick (winding it one). Definitely a good mod to do. If I minimise one and do this to it, it would be probably the best single shot sidearm out. Good job mate

Unless you've got a really small holster, you probably won't need to minimise it. The profile is a lot sleeker than the NF, and is quite aesthetically pleasing as well

Cheers,
    Angellus
    Angellus

Post  Angellus Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:57 am

Hey Clunk

I found this mod guide with improvments to the Venturi Effect.. dunno if it gives the gun much more range but it looks interesting.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Nerf-FIRESTRIKE-mod-Venturi-Effect/step3/How-the-Venturi-Effect-Looks/

Andy.
    lech
    lech

Post  lech Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 am

I'm sure the additional dead space would more than account for any gains from funnelling the air. Do we really want to take mod advice from someone who advocates stretching springs ?
    Angellus
    Angellus

Post  Angellus Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:34 am

having done the mod, I belive filling the coupler with epoxy putty then dremelling out results in less dead space than if the centre of the coupler/AR was completely removed.

Also removing the plunger head by opening up the clips and twisting does chew up the plunger head attachment( ive had mine off 4 or 5 times now ), but it seems to be able to stay on without glueing with 6-8kg's of spring load. I am going to glue it on once im happy with my springs as there is some air leakage around the plunger rod.

I do need to mod another firestrike, so I will do some tests in a the next few weeks and just swap out the coupler. I'll let you guys know if the smoother air flow results in any noticable improvement.

Andy.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 pm