Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+98
TomaszBurcon
Samoorai
Ungodlyfreak
spacephrawg
Pronga
False
royal86
mister_elliott
Scoutluvsu
SuctionCup
LordPork
Frankie27
jacko1120
Vavoom
Benjiman
TooBz
s3an9000
Kinetic Waffle
lefty
makeitgo
Zinv
Switchblade
Winning
NachoTaco
Nemesis
NightStalker
TrackerJack
Acerised
Drados
holdentem
boosted6
nebo1234
Slammin Sam
xnerfx
tdudey123
yeahryan
Mozart
watchadoin
Klosteral
-mirsho
neumein
random guy
melbnerf619
Dxhacksaw
Napolean
mavshot
bulletproofvest
Godspeed_22
XvGR1MREAPERvX
Psykka
lolnerf
redcricket077
oxymoron
Unknown
Synergie
killerbunny
Dietzie
Bacara
Luke
M@lew
ascendant
cr0_b0y
Servulus
JWatt7
Akimbo Assassin
Echoes
gooni
ElementGuy
Johnnus
SydneyNerfer
clunk07
Zandor
mull
Darth Lai
littlebro05
Brunius
Xoenz
matt.chopper
LostBoy
Scout
taerkitty
phuonguyen
JayDesu
TheTrueMcMuffin
Silent Scope
KingCam
Chaos-Blades
SnowDragon
Spete7
TheBradl3s
Nerph
CaptainSurprise
thestick
RL
dandaldaks
seph
Swatsonia
102 posters

The Questions Thread.

Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

The Questions Thread. - Page 5 Empty Re: The Questions Thread.

Post  Silent Scope Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:28 pm

In the 9 years I have visited hardware and electrical distributors for Nerf-related purposes, I have never seen any 16mm UPVC in orange.
    It sucks because it would make making our blasters that much more easier to make them look legal.

Anyways...

I have a question for you FFP-savvy players: Suppose that the rules for the demoman restrict them in using a Titan as the only primary, would it be within the rules to allow Titans to be powered by electric compressors?

It seems it may be a game breaker, but the ruleset does allow and encourage compressor mods for RF20s and Magstrikes.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:31 am

2120 wrote:Considering the fact you told us what your spring setup was, no. With stock LS+ TS springs I got about 26m at a "normal shooting angle" [0-10 degrees]

The yard I shoot it only goes up to 30m so I can't really see if a similar setup with my BBUMB can get 50m. Is it the same deal - blue foam snap caps going into PETG nested in 20mm conduit on a 25 degree angle?

I got 30m just with a 20mm conduit where a whistler dart was nested. My TS (recon + stock TS springs) vacuum loaded the bullet then off it went. But enough dick wagging...

EDIT:

dang I forgot to ask... 16mm conduit is supposed to be super tight with blue foam and streamlines right? I'd just like to ask what uses you guys have put this barrel material into?

Alright dude. My TS has V1+Stock spring and has some green stuff wrapped around the plunger head which gives it the ability to vacume load, sometimes.

And yeh my BBUMB with same setup and pumped at about 7-8 times.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:43 am

Just for comparison, my singled QS with 16mm UPVC barrels set-up with a LS + QS + Recon was hitting way over 100ft (Up to 150 before it flew into the woods) at 25-30 degrees.
    Your ranges are good - but not unbelievable.
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:43 am

Silent Scope wrote:I have a question for you FFP-savvy players: Suppose that the rules for the demoman restrict them in using a Titan as the only primary, would it be within the rules to allow Titans to be powered by electric compressors?

It seems it may be a game breaker, but the ruleset does allow and encourage compressor mods for RF20s and Magstrikes.
    It'd have to be assessed in a case by case scenario I think, if it's faster than pumping a titan 10 times or cranking an XXL 15 times, the weight would need to be quite a bit more.

what I mean is;

added weight = less maneuverability,

which is why compressor auto's are allowed, and with a demo, I think maneuverability is the key factor.

Also, I'd like to know, If someone has/makes a Springer that can shoot sharpie distances, what rule would need to be added to allow that? (I'm not saying I have one, it's just a "what if?" question.) Maybe they aren't allowed speed loaders and have to muzzle load? Or should it just be airguns?
    Swatsonia
    Swatsonia

Post  Swatsonia Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:02 am

Wasn't there originally a rule that in FFP, sharpies had to wait 5 seconds between each shot? If that was still in paly, then having a springer wouldn't make a massive difference.
    Echoes
    Echoes

Post  Echoes Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:06 am

I believe that rule was that the blaster needed to take 5 seconds to reprime.

An octoshot that hits 140 feet with a decent rate of fire (Like Makeitgo's one) would be pretty powerful... as long as they can aim.

If I'm correct in that the Sharpie can carry two pistols (I'm not entirely sure at this point, will check that in a moment), perhaps you could restrict their use of pistols to one if they use a springer.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:18 am

Would running 20.4v through my stampede ruin it? I will only be doing 3 burst rounds every now and then..

Thats 4, D batteries and 4, 3.6v unprotected ultrafires..
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:50 am

I've never heard of that high of a voltage being used. And 3 round bursts you really need to hone that. I'd say it's not recommended

Have any of you encountered massive fishtailing with blue foam darts shot out of powerful springers? I'm still calibrating the darts and barrel but just wondering on some prior knowledge
    Bacara
    Bacara

Post  Bacara Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:55 am

Use 00 fishing weights and hot glue, or order some Silicone tips from Inf0rm3r. I personally use 00's and they consistently work well and fire straight, even in high-powered guns.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:07 am

Yeah I think the blue foam I have has 8g snap caps on them. I mean this is the first time I've encountered fishtailing on those darts.

Okay so I tried to "pinpoint" the variable that's causing the fishtailing - the gun, the barrel or the darts.

TS with PETG+20mm conduit breech, uses 8g snap cap blue foam - fishtailing, at least 2 out of every third dart.
    TS with 20mm conduit, uses Lanard darts/whistlers - no fishtail, goes fine
    BBUMB with PETG+20mm conduit breech, uses 8g snap cap blue foam - no fishtailing.

It's already dark so I suppose I have to do more testing over the weekend.
    Bacara
    Bacara

Post  Bacara Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:12 am

With those 8g snapcaps, do they have washers in them or just hotglue? If just hotglue, maybe try adding a 00 fishing weight in them, the extra weight adds stability and accuracy to the dart's trajectory.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:14 am

2120 wrote:Yeah I think the blue foam I have has 8g snap caps on them. I mean this is the first time I've encountered fishtailing on those darts.

Okay so I tried to "pinpoint" the variable that's causing the fishtailing - the gun, the barrel or the darts.

TS with PETG+20mm conduit breech, uses 8g snap cap blue foam - fishtailing, at least 2 out of every third dart.
    TS with 20mm conduit, uses Lanard darts/whistlers - no fishtail, goes fine
    BBUMB with PETG+20mm conduit breech, uses 8g snap cap blue foam - no fishtailing.

It's already dark so I suppose I have to do more testing over the weekend.

How long is your barrel? My TS doesn't fishtail with my ebay blue foam snap caps.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:20 am

Hmm I got them off oxymoron so I'm not too sure. I think it's just hot glue going by the ones that have fallen off as I shot it into a brick wall (lol)

Barrel length is about 23cm.

Also to add - I only have a stock and Recon spring in there. When I had the stock LS + TS springs, this did not happen. Of course between now and then my blue foam darts have experienced a few more rounds of shooting and landing on grass.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 am

Well. I haven't experienced fishtails with my snap caps, but i have experienced some wobbling with my glued blue foam, probably due to the flat glue not being aerodynamic.

The Questions Thread. - Page 5 Img_0415
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:58 am

Xoenz wrote:Would running 20.4v through my stampede ruin it? I will only be doing 3 burst rounds every now and then..

Hmm SgNerf advises not to mix batteries of different voltage together. Decide and use either D batteries or 3.6V unprotected UltraFires, not both (especially when you are dealing with unprotected Li-on batteries). Potential of battery explosion.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Akimbo Assassin wrote:
    Xoenz wrote:Would running 20.4v through my stampede ruin it? I will only be doing 3 burst rounds every now and then..

Hmm SgNerf advises not to mix batteries of different voltage together. Decide and use either D batteries or 3.6V unprotected UltraFires, not both (especially when you are dealing with unprotected Li-on batteries). Potential of battery explosion.

Aww man, i can't seem to find a good enough dummy cell..

Okay i changed it up abit. Added a new spring and i'm running on 2 D batteries and 4 Ultrafires and 2 Dummies. I have to have the D's in the middle because the positive ends of the AA-D converters don't reach each other due to the dividers.

Ranges are 13-15 metres, which is bad imo.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:57 pm

What mods have you done? Remember voltage only deals with RoF in a Stampede, not distance
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:01 pm

2120 wrote:What mods have you done? Remember voltage only deals with RoF in a Stampede, not distance

Air restrictors, added nerfnerddaniel dickshit spring, BT oring and lube.
    Dietzie
    Dietzie

Post  Dietzie Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:05 pm

Xoenz wrote:
    Okay i changed it up abit. Added a new spring and i'm running on 2 D batteries and 4 Ultrafires and 2 Dummies. I have to have the D's in the middle because the positive ends of the AA-D converters don't reach each other due to the dividers.

The lower voltage cells are going to be pulling the voltage down from the higher ones. Don't mix battery voltages or types and as mentioned voltage WILL NOT increase range. All the motor does in a Stampede is prime and release, the plunger is still sprung.

Now for helpful stuff. Try just the trustfires and use bolts or springs and tape as dummies to make up the space until you sort out your setup .
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

Post  oxymoron Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:11 pm

2120, the darts you got off me have glue only in the tip. They will be the cause of the fishtailing. You'll need more weight in the tip with a high powered gun.
    The other thing that might help is increasing the barrel length a bit.

Xoenz - don't mix battery types full stop. There is no reason why you should ever need/want more than the 16.8V you get from the Trustfires. Rather than buy some dummy connectors, just wire in a 4xAA battery holder (couple $ from JAycar or similar)

RL
    RL

Post  RL Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:15 pm

oxymoron wrote:2120, the darts you got off me have glue only in the tip. They will be the cause of the fishtailing. You'll need more weight in the tip with a high powered gun.
    The other thing that might help is increasing the barrel length a bit.

Xoenz - don't mix battery types full stop. There is no reason why you should ever need/want more than the 16.8V you get from the Trustfires. Rather than buy some dummy connectors, just wire in a 4xAA battery holder (couple $ from JAycar or similar)

How should I do that?

What's surprised me is that it's only now I've noticed the darts fishtail like crazy. Must've been some swirly wind around as well - but yeah I had some going left to right, some go way up and crash down, and others just go out of the barrel spinning like crazy then falling 7m in front of me.

But thanks man
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Xoenz wrote: Aww man, i can't seem to find a good enough dummy cell..

Aren't you listening to us? No mixing D batteries and UltraFire unprotected Li-on batteries together. Like what oxymoron said, put 4 UltraFire batteries in a battery holder and connect with wires to Stampede's terminals. Check out SgNerf's website, he has pictures. The last thing we want here is you get yourself hurt from exploding batteries (not that it will, just higher chance with mixing batteries), then the media and law got involved and we Nerf modding community get banned from modding Nerf blasters. If that happens, we all gonna kill you.
    Echoes
    Echoes

Post  Echoes Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Akimbo Assassin wrote: The last thing we want here is you get yourself hurt from exploding batteries (not that it will, just higher chance with mixing batteries), then the media and law got involved and we Nerf modding community get banned from modding Nerf blasters. If that happens, we all gonna kill you.

If the exploding stampede doesn't do it first...
    Brunius

Post  Brunius Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Akimbo Assassin wrote:
    Xoenz wrote: Aww man, i can't seem to find a good enough dummy cell..

Aren't you listening to us? No mixing D batteries and UltraFire unprotected Li-on batteries together. Like what oxymoron said, put 4 UltraFire batteries in a battery holder and connect with wires to Stampede's terminals. Check out SgNerf's website, he has pictures. The last thing we want here is you get yourself hurt from exploding batteries (not that it will, just higher chance with mixing batteries), then the media and law got involved and we Nerf modding community get banned from modding Nerf blasters. If that happens, we all gonna kill you.

Theres legislation going through at the end of the year saying that blasters have to be manufactured unable to be modded anyway...
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:45 pm

@Brunius - where did you get that information from? We hear it all the time, yet there's nothing changed about it.
    Nerph
    Nerph

Post  Nerph Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:20 pm

On the subject of rumours, are longshots really out of production?
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Nerph wrote:On the subject of rumours, are longshots really out of production?

Nup.
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Nerph wrote:On the subject of rumours, are longshots really out of production?

No.
    thestick
    thestick

Post  thestick Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Brunius wrote:Theres legislation going through at the end of the year saying that blasters have to be manufactured unable to be modded anyway...

That is just crazy talk. I mean seriously, it is not feasible for manufacturers to make blasters "un-moddable". The costs involved would make the end price WAY too high for it to be worth making blasters, or at least selling them in OZ.

In fact, I DARE Hasbro/Lanard/etc to try to make an un-moddable blaster. I guarantee, it would be less that a day before it was modded!
    Echoes
    Echoes

Post  Echoes Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Air guns were supposed to be unmoddable - or so I hear.

Look at what happened to that. *cough*
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:07 pm

thestick wrote:In fact, I DARE Hasbro/Lanard/etc to try to make an un-moddable blaster.

Please don't...
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:40 pm

@ Xoenz - Get a 4 x AA holder as everyone else has suggested. Failing that, you can make dummies out of AA to D cell adaptors. Just solder a piece of copper wire between the + and -, or use alfoil, or anything that's conductive really. You're best bet is to hard-wire the 4 x AA holder though.

I've only used a BT 9kg spring, beefier return spring, and voltage increase. I'm averaging 77 feet angled, using darts with 3 washers inside the tip. They weight 1.15g each.

@ 2120 - I've just conducted a massive range/weight test on serveral of my blasters, to identify maximum range and eliminate fish-tailing. The closest I have to your TS ranges would be either my LS, or Titan. Here is what I have discovered through testing (All ranges are medium angled, firing from the hip.)

Longshot (brass breech, BT spring, AR removal etc etc)
    - 146 ft avg using darts weighing 1.15g each (mini-snap with 3 x washers)
    - 132 ft avg using darts weighing 1 g each (mini-snap with 2 x washers)
    - 119 ft avg using darts weighing 2.15g each (mini-snap with size 0 sinker)

Titan (2 ft long PETG barrel nested in conduit, AR removal, plugged pump)
    - 324 ft avg using darts weighing 2.15g each (mini-snap with size 0 sinker)
    - 267 ft avg using darts weighing 1.15g each (mini-snap with 3 x washers)
    - 225 ft avg using darts weighing 1 g each (mini-snap with 2 x washers)

I suggest making a set of calibration darts like I did. It certainly makes life easier.
    I have seven different-weighted darts, all using the same foam and tips. Weights range from 0.67g to 2.15g, and I have a set of 10 of each type.

PM me if you'd like some more info.

Last edited by clunk07 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a letter!!)
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:01 am

Well all of mine are probably lighter than that. So I suppose adding weight does make a difference. I did an indoor test and without little wind they go alright up to 35 feet or so. So really does make me wonder if it was just the conditions last night.

Thanks for that man - now I need to get some washers and get back to dart smithing!.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 am

The extra weight is definitely helpful.

I used digital kitchen scales to weigh mine, although I had to use 10 darts at a time to get an accurate reading.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:15 am

So this morning was a lot calmer, so I tested the darts.

Definitely a lot less fishtailing, but some of them still wiggled near the end of their flight.

My lesson - these darts are best used for modded but lower powered blasters. And don't range test on a windy day

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:53 am