Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+98
TomaszBurcon
Samoorai
Ungodlyfreak
spacephrawg
Pronga
False
royal86
mister_elliott
Scoutluvsu
SuctionCup
LordPork
Frankie27
jacko1120
Vavoom
Benjiman
TooBz
s3an9000
Kinetic Waffle
lefty
makeitgo
Zinv
Switchblade
Winning
NachoTaco
Nemesis
NightStalker
TrackerJack
Acerised
Drados
holdentem
boosted6
nebo1234
Slammin Sam
xnerfx
tdudey123
yeahryan
Mozart
watchadoin
Klosteral
-mirsho
neumein
random guy
melbnerf619
Dxhacksaw
Napolean
mavshot
bulletproofvest
Godspeed_22
XvGR1MREAPERvX
Psykka
lolnerf
redcricket077
oxymoron
Unknown
Synergie
killerbunny
Dietzie
Bacara
Luke
M@lew
ascendant
cr0_b0y
Servulus
JWatt7
Akimbo Assassin
Echoes
gooni
ElementGuy
Johnnus
SydneyNerfer
clunk07
Zandor
mull
Darth Lai
littlebro05
Brunius
Xoenz
matt.chopper
LostBoy
Scout
taerkitty
phuonguyen
JayDesu
TheTrueMcMuffin
Silent Scope
KingCam
Chaos-Blades
SnowDragon
Spete7
TheBradl3s
Nerph
CaptainSurprise
thestick
RL
dandaldaks
seph
Swatsonia
102 posters

The Questions Thread.

The Questions Thread. - Page 12 Empty Re: The Questions Thread.

Post  238232 Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:09 pm

A tip when you're buying plastics, ask what they have in the way of offcuts.

Got a couple of sheets of 6 mm polycarb that way, 1440 x 390 for $65 ex GST each, nice stuff with an anti-mar and UV resistant coating.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:19 pm

How many is a couple..? You seem chuffed on that, I'm sitting here thing what the f***, that's expensive! Good advice on off cuts, though, cheers for that.

Who can I buy brass off? Is that place that sells heaps of model stuff, which also sells brass, sorry I can't remember the name. What's the shipping like for brass from the US?

In other words, where do you all get your brass from? I live in Burnie, no hobby shops.
    holdentem
    holdentem

Post  holdentem Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Mozart wrote:How many is a couple..? You seem chuffed on that, I'm sitting here thing what the f***, that's expensive! Good advice on off cuts, though, cheers for that.

Who can I buy brass off? Is that place that sells heaps of model stuff, which also sells brass, sorry I can't remember the name. What's the shipping like for brass from the US?

In other words, where do you all get your brass from? I live in Burnie, no hobby shops.

Go to ulverstone Big boys toys, they have brass, i'm not sure if it fits nerf darts, havent had a chance to check.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:42 pm

It needs to go up in size in 32nds and have a wall thickness of 0.014" I think. Cheers man, I'll check it out.

Post  238232 Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:53 pm

A couple would be two, although they had more last time I checked. Probably would have bought them, but I didn't have the funds.

Usually they only sell huge sheets, like the 2.4 x 1.2 metre sheets Clunk mentioned. The guy who sold it said that the regular price for that amount of polycarb with the coating was usually double what I paid.

By way of comparison, McMaster-Carr sells a square foot of polycarb for 12.75 USD, and they don't ship internationally (even if they did it'd be a killer). I got my pieces for 11.83 AUD per square foot.

From what I can tell, these kinds of suppliers prefer not to sell in anything other than full sheets because they aren't guaranteed that they can sell the randomly sized offcuts, but if there's someone willing to pay them to cut up a full sheet into whatever shapes and sizes they want then they'll still do it. If there're offcuts and someone (like me) is going to buy them, it's a win-win situation for both of us.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Holy shit, I had no idea polycarbonate was so expensive. Why do we, as Nerfers, use it? Surely there has to be a cheaper alternative. Thanks for all the info, man. If I have some (apparently a lot) of spare funds in the near future, I'll look more into it.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:11 pm

Mozart wrote:Holy shit, I had no idea polycarbonate was so expensive. Why do we, as Nerfers, use it? Surely there has to be a cheaper alternative. Thanks for all the info, man. If I have some (apparently a lot) of spare funds in the near future, I'll look more into it.

I think it's the preferred material of choice for making +bow/ausbow's, and possible spacer's - but don't quote me on that. If you're interested in Shotgun grips for LShot's, there's no real reason you can't make them out of aluminium. It would probably be better structurally as well.

I just wanted a small piece of polycarb to learn how to work with a new material. Definitely wasn't going to pay big dollar's for it, and the 3 stores I contacted didn't have any off-cuts.

Post  238232 Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:14 pm

We use it because it's relatively easy to machine and is very strong as plastics go. For non-structural components you can try using acrylic or some such, but polycarb is really the best way to go.

If you're designing and making your own stuff though, aluminium can be much better if you know where to go and have the capacity to machine it. I can get 0.25" thick 6061-T651 Al for as low as $19 per square foot ex GST (and shipping for that matter, but that's quite variable depending on your order size). And if you're using Al that thick, I have some serious questions about how much stress you're planning on subjecting your components to.

Sometimes I also wonder why I'm using polycarb, although for different reasons than you.

Last edited by 238232 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:17 pm

That's exactly I i wanted some, man. Just wanna play around with it, maybe build a small shell or something for my 4B tank. I don't think I'm keen on paying that much, just to play around with it.

Clunk, do you know where I can get brass? Cheap would be best, hahaa. For that RSCB I was telling you about. I had another look, it's going to fit so well.

Yeah, I guess it's strong enough to hold threads and stuff, too. Thanks, man.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Being a boily, I tend to use metal out of habit. I thought it would be nice to try plastic's just for something different. I can see how it would be preferable to fabricate parts out of. Is there an easy way to identify plastics? I have a large sheet that I have obtained, and I'm not overly sure if it's polycarb, or just perspex. It came as packaging with out new whiteboards at work.

Mate, I'd look for a hobby shop to buy online from. Surely there must be one in Tazzie somewhere. If not, try www.frontlinehobbies.com.au or www.hobbyco.com.au

Not sure how much freight would be, but it's an option if nothing else.

Post  238232 Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:37 pm

I'm not really sure on any good methods, I mainly work with polycarb and acrylic/perspex but my methods are more comparative, so I'm not sure how much they'll help you. Polycarb tends to scratch easier and is more likely to bend or otherwise deform, while acrylic will chip. Acrylic melts at a lower temp, maybe you could check the melting points and test it that way? When they melt the smell's different as well, from memory acrylic smells sweeter, but it might have been the other way around and I'm not inclined to test it at the moment, it being 0240 at the moment.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:43 pm

238232 wrote:I'm not really sure on any good methods, I mainly work with polycarb and acrylic/perspex but my methods are more comparative, so I'm not sure how much they'll help you. Polycarb tends to scratch easier and is more likely to bend or otherwise deform, while acrylic will chip. Acrylic melts at a lower temp, maybe you could check the melting points and test it that way? When they melt the smell's different as well, from memory acrylic smells sweeter, but it might have been the other way around and I'm not inclined to test it at the moment, it being 0240 at the moment.

Thanks, I'll see what I can work out.
    holdentem
    holdentem

Post  holdentem Sun May 01, 2011 5:20 am

Mozart wrote:Holy shit, I had no idea polycarbonate was so expensive. Why do we, as Nerfers, use it? Surely there has to be a cheaper alternative. Thanks for all the info, man. If I have some (apparently a lot) of spare funds in the near future, I'll look more into it.

Try the burnie tip shop, i got 1 square ft of it there for $2
    ElementGuy
    ElementGuy

Post  ElementGuy Mon May 02, 2011 4:51 am

Is petg a good springer barrel or am I better off with some 16mm Aussie Duct?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon May 02, 2011 5:10 am

ElementGuy wrote:Is petg a good springer barrel or am I better off with some 16mm Aussie Duct?

Direct quote from Phuonguyen's FAQ section:

Why are different barrels needed for Airguns or Springers?

For airguns, where the majority of the guns are based off range and high exit velocities, the length of the barrel is very important as it directly contributes to the accuracy of the gun. Most airgun barrels are a minimum of 30cm which is alot of friction along the inside of the barrel, this is why a slight loose or perfect fit is desired.

For springers with a large plunger volume such as Longshots, the same principle applies because of the large burst of air is so similar to that of an airgun. The NF and stormfire count as large volume although they tend to work better with a relatively short, but tight barrel - 17/32" brass is idea with a barrel length of 1.25-1.75 of the stock dart length.

For springer with a relatively small plunger volume, such as all reverse plunger guns (yes the output volume is small), the minimum ammount of friction is wanted though maintaining the maximum pressure behind the dart. That's why a perfect fit is desirable.
    ElementGuy
    ElementGuy

Post  ElementGuy Mon May 02, 2011 5:15 am

That still doesn't state whether or not I shoud be using petg for my QS or 16mm conduit.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 am

What type of darts are you using?

For my TS I use Petg and blue foam but 16mm conduit works fine but can be a hassle to load and does not accept 'fat' headed snap caps.

If your using streamlines 16mm is the only way to go, Petg is way too loose.
    ElementGuy
    ElementGuy

Post  ElementGuy Mon May 02, 2011 5:23 am

I'm using blue foam, but I read somewhere that 16mm conduit is a perfect springer fit on it so I'm undecieded.

I also use cover caps from my local bunnings that fit perfectly inside the 16mm conduit.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Mon May 02, 2011 5:27 am

They are both very good with blue foam but I prefer Petg - just personal preference.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon May 02, 2011 5:31 am

ElementGuy wrote:That still doesn't state whether or not I shoud be using petg for my QS or 16mm conduit.

How doesn't this bit answer your question:

Most airgun barrels are a minimum of 30cm which is alot of friction along the inside of the barrel, this is why a slight loose or perfect fit is desired.
    For springers with a large plunger volume such as Longshots, the same principle applies because of the large burst of air is so similar to that of an airgun.

If you're using the larger caps, they won't fit in petg.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Mon May 02, 2011 5:41 am

clunk07 wrote:

Uhhh, yes they will...
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon May 02, 2011 5:58 am

Unknown wrote:
    clunk07 wrote:

Uhhh, yes they will...

Okay, yes they will fit if you jam them in. I just test-fired one from my titan, and it didn't exit the 60cm barrel - as opposed to 400 feet with the smaller snap caps. So, yeh, they fit, but are fukn useless
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Mon May 02, 2011 6:45 am

Are we talking about the same thing?

I'm talking about the dart hire darts with larger snap caps, when used in my SB they hit well over 120ft and in my singled TS nearly 110ft.

Is your barrel bent?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon May 02, 2011 7:12 am

I have seen his SB and it is capable of pulling those ranges. The same as his Triple Shot. Fat caps should work alright. It'just that there's a bit of friction on it = less velocity.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon May 02, 2011 7:38 am

littlebro05 wrote:I have seen his SB and it is capable of pulling those ranges. The same as his Triple Shot. Fat caps should work alright. It'just that there's a bit of friction on it = less velocity.

I'm reaching the same range with my SB. Maybe there's a bit of diameter variation in my petg and snap caps. My barrel is definitely not bent, 2ft petg nested in conduit.

I've tried a couple other pieces of petg, and still no success. Maybe it's the caps then.
    melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Mon May 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Im not too sure if this belongs in this thread but its really bugging me. Over a month ago, i bought and paid for some nerf clips from BoltAction and i've been Pm'ing him because nothing has arrived but all the messages go straight to outbox. I need to reach him. What can i do?
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Mon May 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Alrighty.

Bought an ipad 2 today and a scatter blast.

Problems with the scatter blast. The darts just arn't ejecting. I think that they might be a leak.

ANy suggestions, maybe i'm doing it wrong.
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Mon May 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Xoenz wrote:Alrighty.

Problems with the scatter blast. The darts just arn't ejecting. I think that they might be a leak.

Press the white button, so that the orange button is flush with the blue foam.

And who cares about the iPad 2.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Mon May 02, 2011 2:14 pm

phuonguyen wrote:
    Xoenz wrote:Alrighty.

Press the white button, so that the orange button is flush with the blue foam.

And who cares about the iPad 2.

Still does not work. I hear the air coming out but the darts still just sitting in there laughing at me.
    Echoes
    Echoes

Post  Echoes Mon May 02, 2011 2:35 pm

At the moment, mine only works with the darts that came with it. Are you using Nerf darts?
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Mon May 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Mine must have a bit of evil bunny magic.
    It works flawlessly with all darts.
    Echoes
    Echoes

Post  Echoes Mon May 02, 2011 2:42 pm

The fact that mine only works with Lanard darts is annoying. Did you remove the pegs or anything @unknown
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Mon May 02, 2011 2:42 pm

**EDIT**

I just found out that it works well with stock nerf sucker darts, not the stock lanard darts, LOL!

Thanks everyone for your help!
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Tue May 03, 2011 12:28 am

Echoes wrote:The fact that mine only works with Lanard darts is annoying. Did you remove the pegs or anything @unknown

Nope, just stock.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Tue May 03, 2011 7:17 am

How can I polish the inside of brass tube? For smoother breech operation.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:15 pm